Saving Grace

Exorcist

Aubrey decided that she wouldn't allow his statement to get to her. He had came to apologize, and wanted to seem like a cocky asshole before he left. He needed to at least make an ass out of himself before he left. He couldn't just thank you, and leave. At least, that's what she was telling herself. Though she couldn't help but to think about him a lot more now.

"Hey Bre, what are you still doing here?" Steve asked, coming out of his office.

She looked over at the clock and then cursed loudly. Steve laughed as he watched her quickly toss some things into her bag. She had been so caught up in thinking about Brian she hadn't even realized her shift ended an hour ago. She was late meeting Malorie and Chance for dinner.

"I'm leaving now. See ya Steve."

She sped to the Mexican restaurant. She couldn't believe she had forgot about their dinner plans. She felt like such an idiot for allowing a conceited rock star to get to her. Once she found a parking spot, she grabbed her bag and then rushed inside. She found her sister and nephew in the back booth, nibbling away on chips. She walked over and sank down in the booth.

"About time." Chance said, "I'm starving, Auntie Bre!"

Aubrey smiled, and then Malorie laughed. A Mexican man came over and took their orders. Aubrey just ordered her usual since she didn't have time to look at the menu. If Chance didn't get some food in his stomach he was going to go into brat mode.

"So, what took you so long?" Malorie asked.

"Complications at work." Aubrey stated.

They began eating their meals while Chance talked about everything that had happened at school. Aubrey giggled as he talked about this little girl at school who got on his nerves. She knew it was a crush in the making.

"So, when will the video be out?" Malorie asked.

"I'm not sure." Aubrey stated, "I guess they have to edit it and such. I'm not really sure how long that process takes. I guess a few months though."

"You think the phone will be ringing off the hook for appearances and autographs then?" Malorie joked.

Aubrey giggled and shook her head, "I doubt anyone will know it's me under all the leather and caked up make-up."

Chance didn't even seem to notice the conversation around them. He was more caught up in the food he was filling his mouth with. They headed home after the dinner. They planned on watching some movies as a family. Aubrey loved this time the most. She and Malorie were probably the closet two sister's on the planet. They only ever had each other, so they made the most of it. Their father never had anything to do with them, and their mother died when they were young.

"What movie?" Chance asked, as he bounced over to the collection.

"How about we watch a scary movie?" Malorie suggested, making ghost sounds.

Chance rolled his eyes playfully, "Mom, Auntie Bre doesn't like scary movies. She has nightmares remember?"

Aubrey laughed and then made her way into the kitchen. She placed the box of left overs from the restaurant into the refrigerator, and grabbed a bottle of water. She gulped back some of the contents and then walked over to the answering machine and pushed the button in seeing two new messages.

One was from Malorie's boss letting her know they needed her to come in two hours early tomorrow, and the other was from Steve. She listened as his voice spoke.

"Hey Aubrey. Tried calling your cell phone, and then remembered you haven't got a new one yet. Just wanted to let you know I got a call earlier from a Brian Haner. He said he was a friends of yours, and wanted your new number. I gave him this number. Hope you didn't mind. He sounded like he really needed to get in touch with you. I'll see you on Monday."

The machine went blank and she arched an eyebrow at the message. Brian Haner was looking for her? It took her a minute to register the name, and whens he did she groaned loudly. Brian Haner was the guitarist. Brian Haner was the asshole. Brian Haner was the man she couldn't get her mind off from.

"What were the messages about?" Malorie asked.

"You need to go in to work two hours early tomorrow."

"Anything else?"

"Just a headache waiting to happen." Aubrey muttered, as she walked into the living room and sat down on the couch.

She placed the pillow over her eyes as she watched the little girls head turn around. She couldn't believe Chance actually liked movies like this. How could he not have nightmares from this? Better yet, why would Malorie even allow him to watch this? She cringed as the little girl yelled out profanities as she held the cross in her hand.

"Is this movie even legal?" Aubrey asked.

"It's the Exorcist, of course it's legal." Malorie stated.

"She uh. . . Are you sure Chance should be watching this?"

"He's watched it a thousand times before. He loves stuff like this."

"Mal! She just. . . that cross. . ." She was cut off by the ringing of the phone. She jumped up, volunteering to answer it.

She walked into the kitchen and picked up the cord phone which was attached to the wall. She placed the phone by her ear, and tangled her hands in the cord, "Hello?"

"Aubrey?"

"Yeah, whose this?"

"Brian."

"Brian? Oh!" She groaned, "What do you want?"

"Now the bitch returns I see."

"And the asshole never left."

He laughed, "What are you doing?"

She shook her head. Who did this guy think he was? Did he honestly think he could just call her to say what's up? She licked over her lips. "I'm hanging up."

"Why?"

"Because, I'm uh. . . watching a movie with my family."

"Oh, okay. Well." Brian sighed, figuring she had a husband and a couple of kids at home. No wonder she hadn't been interested in him. "Bye then."

"Bye." She said, hanging up the phone.