Innocence and a Broken Heart

Summer

3 years ago.

“Summer!” Nathan cried, wrapping his arms around me tightly for a quick hug. “Thank god! I don’t think I could have been in that school any longer. ” He said letting go and falling into step with me as we walked to the buses, like we did each day.

“It’s kind of sad though, don’t you think?” I asked boldly, surprised by my own courage.

“What is?” He asked, running his fingers through his shaggy brown hair, his blue eyes glisting in the sunlight.

“Middle schools over. I mean I’m going to Jefferson and you and John are going to that prep school. I mean this is our last day together in school.”

“Oh stop being such a girl.” He said playfully, punching my arm. “It’s not like we are going to stop being friends. I’m not dieing. I’ll still see you guys. I promise.” He said extending his pinky finger.

“Fine.” I said as I latched my pinky on to his and we shook on it. “You better not break that promise.”

“When do I ever?” He said, giving me that million dollar smile. The full one, where both of his dimples show. I just nodded, and let my knees go weak as a small shiver ran down my spine. I wonder if he felt that when I did anything. My guess was probably not, though I wanted desperately to believe I was wrong. “So what are we doing tonight?” He asked, changing the subject.

“Whatever floats your boat.” I said pathetically. And it was true, if he was there, I would be too, no matter what.

“I’ll call you later.” He called getting on his bus, not even looking back. That stung a little, not going to lie. But I didn’t have time to dwell on it before my best friend Juliet came up behind me.

“So,” she began, “we are officially freshman. Little fish of the pond, yes. But we will still get invited to radiculious parties and get super drunk and makeout with hot seniors all year long. Whose with me?” she screamed as the rest of the school looked at her ackwardly.

“I am, as long as you don’t do that again.” I said quietly, pulling her to the buses.

“No promises.” She sang happily in my ear. That’s the thing you gotta love about Juliet. She’s a physco but in the most loveable way possible. But she’s like a pitbull too. Loyal and ready to fight for you when ever you need it.

“So, what are we doing to kick of la summera.” She said smiling as she plopped down beside me on the bus.

“Its La verana. You’re Cuban, shouldn’t you know how to speak Spanish?” I said laughing, shaking my head. She just glared at me. I knew she wasn’t proud of her lack of Spanish skills even though she was partly Cuban, but it was still fun to mock her about it. “ But I was thinking lake? Bondfire of some type?”

“ Sounds good. With whom?”

“Well I don’t know. Debra, Lizzie, Megan, Maggie, I know Nathan wants to hang out.” I said the last one quietly, hoping to avoid the explosion.

“Nathan?!” She cried. No such luck.

“Yeah, Nathan.”

“Come on. I let you have your little love obsession what ever you want to call it for two years. Now move on."

"I have no idea what you are talking about." I said laughing. "Besides so what if he comes? Nothing will happen. I don't expect anything to happen."

"Are you sure? Because after Lizzie's party you seem to jump whenever he comes near you. Like you expect him to kiss you again."

"I don't expect anything. Honest." I said, smiling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry. Short/boring. Stay with me! I swear its about to get very intresting. I just needed a filler to set up the next thing. Also, I hope your not having trouble. The story kind of jumps back and forth from presnt to past.
Comment :)