Innocence and a Broken Heart

Fire

Authors Note:
So some of you seem to be confused with the chapter time changes so I'm going to lay it out hahah, Each chapter will be marked becuase with this story its important to go back and forth. This chapter is still in the past, but starting next chapter it will switch off and on. So present to past. Just look at the top if you forget, it'll tell you. And thank you all so much for reading!!! I love you all, seriously. You guys make me feel so good :) hahah.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 years ago, bondfire

“I’m cold!” I cried shivering, rubbing the goose bumps that rose on my arm. It was legit 65 degrees and late June, it shouldn’t be this cold out!

“Here,” Nathan said throwing me his sweatshirt, as if it was no big deal.

“Are you sure?” I asked smiling, pulling the warmth around me. I inhaled, it smelled like him.

“Yeah, I’m not cold. Take it.”

“Thanks.” I said to him quietly. He just smiled and returned to the game the boys had started on the sand. I just sat their, trying to contain the smile that was taking over my face. Juliet looked at me warningly saying ‘don’t get any ideas’. I just looked down, avoiding her gaze as my cheeks grew a deep shade of pink. This was just like a movie. The boy gives the girl his sweatshirt. Then they take a long walk together and he tells her what she’s secretly wanted for so long. He says he loves her. Then she falls into his arms and they kiss passionitly on the sand until the sun comes up. Now, obviously I wasn’t expecting all that to happen tonight. I’m not retarted, but it was nice to know we were going in somewhat of the right direction.

“Give it back.” Juliet said coming up beside me. Juliet was my best friend in probably the entire world. She knew more about me then everyone, which wasn’t the safest thing because that meant she could read me like a book. And she and I both knew that something would turn this night around and I’d be back to where I was a few nights ago, hurt and alone.

“It won’t be like that. It’s a small thing, he can’t turn this around and ruin it.”

“You know him. He has a way of ruining everything he does when it comes to you and your heart. “ She said, slowly. Letting it sink it I guess. Or just to add effect. Who really knew with her? She wanted to be an actress and said everyting like it had come out of a script. She wouldn’t admit it but I’m pretty sure when she talks, especially about drama, she has the appropiate backround music playing in her head.

“It’s not like he just asked me out. He gave me his sweatshirt because I was cold. This won’t break my heart or do whatever it is you think he does to me. I’m not some pathetic slut.”

“That’s not what I said.” She tried but I stormed off before she could finnish. I knew that wasn’t what she said. I knew it wasn’t even close but I couldn’t let her explain what she was going to say, because I knew what it was and it was true, not that I’d ever admit it. But it was a good night, and I wasn’t going to my past ruin it.

It was 9:30, and I had to be home in 30minutes and nothing had happened since the sweatshirt. I mean I wasn't expecting him to propose but I hadn't even spoken to him all night. So with a deep breath, I stood up from the bench, walked around the bend to this little secluded area and plopped myself onto the blanket he was sitting on, looking out into the water.

"Hey," I said admiring how perfect he looked as the moonlight reflected from the water onto his face, creating a perfect line down the center of his face. "Whatchya doing over here all alone?"

"Just thinking." he said quietly, as if he didn't want to distrube the nature around him as a cricket played quietly in the backround. I just nodded, catching the drift that this was one of those moments that was meant to be quiet. We sat their in silence for a good five minutes, just taking it in. Well that was until my teeth started chattering as a chill ran up my spine. He laughed, "come here." he said pulling me. I layed my head on his shoulder and rested my hand on his chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart. He put his arms around me holding me, I let him support me. "Better?"

"Much." I said, my heart beating faster and faster, I prayed he couldn't feel it.

"Can I ask you something?" he said quietly, practically a whisper. This was it, I said as my breath caught. The moment I've dreamt about for two years. He was gonna ask me out.

"Anything." I said, barley though. I couldn't really talk.

"Do you think Sarah likes me?" He asked quietly, looking around the corner to Sarah playing soccer with the boys.

"Oh....I'm uh not sure." I said, barley finding the words to speak. Thats when I felt it. It was slow at first but progressed into a burn like no other. My heart broke. In that moment my once warm, beating heart shattered and died.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like this chapter. I think its powerful.
Idk....what do you think?