Status: Active

Before We Go Down

Because I Kept

"What the hell? You better not be playing a joke dude," I said, looking at Kate and then back at the door. I kissed her cheek before getting up and throwing a pair of sweatpants on. If Chris was kidding, I was going to punch him. I opened the door slightly to see Chris standing there with panic on his face.

"I'm not kidding," Chris said before opening the door all the way and walking into my room. Kate squealed and threw the covers over her body.

"Ahh!" Chris yelled while covering his eyes and taking a few steps backwards.

"That's why I wasn't opening the door," I said before running over to Kate. A crack of lightning flew through the sky as the power went out. I took a deep breath before going over to the window. It wasn't the same city outside.

There was at least four feet of water covering the streets. No cars could be seen beneath the turbulent water. All the buildings were dark, and there was no one around. I pulled the window up quickly and listened for a sign of any other human life out there. There was only silence.

I dropped my hands to my sides and just stared at the water filling every nook and cranny in the street. I felt a small warm hand in mine, and I turned to see Kate looking at me. She looked out the window, and her breath caught in her throat.

"Chris...go get something warm and waterproof on," I said, not taking my eyes away from the scene outside. I heard him begin to leave before he ran straight into a wall and fell backwards. He must have still been covering his eyes. I turned and saw him feel his way out of the room before closing the door.

I took a deep breath before looking at Kate. I waited until she looked at me. Her eyes were scared even though her face looked calm.

"Everything is going to be okay," she said to me. I squeezed her hand and smiled.

"Aren't I supposed to be the one comforting you?"

"You can comfort me if you let me borrow some of your clothes," she said motioning towards her small summer dress lying on the floor next to my shirt. I would let her have the shirt off my back any day.

I led her over to my closet before I pulled out an tank-top and a sweater for her. My pants would just hang on her, so I thought of an idea.

"Let me get a pair of Chris' pants for you, " I said. Kate nodded and smiled before I left the room and went into Chris' bedroom. He was sitting on the bed putting on his shoes. Before I could say anything, he threw a pair of pants at me.

"I figured she might need these," Chris said with a smile.

"What are we gonna do?" I asked him. He went into his drawer and pulled out a Bible.

"Well we're gonna pray everything works out, and then we're going to go onto the roof and try to catch a ride with the nearest duck," He said trying to make a joke. Suddenly, an idea popped in my head.

"Thanks," I said to him before running out of the room and into my room where Kate was snuggled into my sweater, but she only had underwear on her lower half. I stared for a moment before averting my eyes and handing her the jeans.

"Thanks," she said as I left the room and prayed my plan was going to work. I pulled the string on the ceiling and the stairs to the attic came down. I climbed up and immediately began looking through my dad's old things that I brought with me because mom didn't have the space in her new condo. I found his fishing gear so I knew I was close.

"Where are you?" I said before finding the heavy neon yellow bag in the corner. I grabbed it quickly and jumped back down the stairs.

I went into my room to find it vacant, so I went into my closet and pulled on some underwear, jeans, some flannel, and a sweater. I pulled on my cowboy boots and headed out to the main room where Chris and Kate were pulling out our ponchos and umbrellas from the closet.

I stopped for a moment and looked at Kate. The jeans made her body look hot, and having her wear my clothes made me horny. If we weren't in the middle of a crazy flood, I'd totally take her back in my room for a couple more hours.

I needed to focus, so I went over to the kitchen and started putting bottled water and some food into a backpack I found on the floor. I felt Kate come from behind me and touch my arm.

"Are you ready?"