This Is Becoming a Catastrophe

This Is Becoming A Catastrophe Ch.4

I went to grab my phone and call Kyle.
“Caleb, this better be important..” Kyle answered like he was in the middle of something.
“Oh, geez, sorry, just call me back when you two are finished.” I hung up and laughed a little to myself. Oops.
About twenty minutes after I called, Kyle called me back.
“Sorry about that.” I said.
“Don’t worry about it, you didn’t ruin anything. So what’s up?” He asked.
“I’m pretty sure Derek and I are together.” I said, smiling.
He gasped. “What about his girlfriend?”
Before I could answer, I heard Colby freaking out in the background.
“He’s breaking up with her either tonight or tomorrow. And not to sound selfish or anything, but I kinda hope he does. He even said that he wanted to be with me.”
I heard some little arguing over the phone and then Colby’s voice came through the ear piece. “Ohmigod! You and Derek! So cute! I’m so jealous.” He said, a smirk in his voice at the last part of his sentence before I heard Kyle say something in the background, followed by a little bit of nothingness, which was probably a whole lot of something on their end.
“Sorry, Colby was being stubborn. You should uh, come over, so we can chat.” Kyle said.
“I was planning on it, whether you wanted me to or not. I’ll see you in a few.” I said, smirking.
He laughed a little. “Alright, see ya.”
I hung up and grabbed my keys, running to the car and letting it warm up. It was getting colder every day, and I was not liking it at all.
I sped to Kyle’s house, greeted in the doorway with hugs from both Kyle and Colby.
“I knew it was gonna happen eventually.” Colby said confidently.
“I think anyone could see that.” Kyle said.
I couldn’t stop blushing.
“Oooh, Caleb’s embarrassed!” Colby teased, pinching my cheek a little bit, putting his arm around my waist.
I giggled and waved his hand away. “Stop it! Hey, where’s Austin?” I asked, realizing that he’s the only one I haven’t seen yet.
“He went out, he’s probably not gonna be back til later.” Kyle answered.
“Oh, okay then.” I sat down, Colby still attached to me. I swear he loved me more than Kyle, and that’s saying something. I guess we’ve always been really close, and Colby wasn’t one to hide his emotions or space himself from people, especially his best friend from second grade, even around his boyfriend. I’d never get with him or anything, though. That would be waaay too awkward, not to mention that Colby would be way too much for me to handle.
He rested his head on my shoulder. “I’m so proud of you.”
I laughed a little to myself. “Why are you proud of me?”
He looked at me like I was crazy. “Have you seen how fine Derek is? I don’t even think I could get something that fine. Oh, wait, I lied. I do have something that fine.” Colby said, leaning away from me and going to lean/crawl on top of Kyle.
“Psh, please, I am not that fine.” Kyle said, playing with Colby’s hair, their faces extremely close.
“Oh, of course, how could I be so silly. You’re finer.” He said, sexy smirk planted on his face, which was interrupted by Kyle’s lips on his. As Colby climbed on top of Kyle and they started really getting into it, I got up slowly, grabbing my keys, realizing that they weren’t completely satisfied with each other tonight.
“Alright, I guess I’m gonna head out..let you two do your thing. I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” I said, going to the door.
When I got no answer, I just answered anyways. “Awesome, sounds great, see ya.”
Right as I was about to close the door, I felt someone’s arms wrap around me, probably Colby’s.
“I’m sorry, hun, we were totally ignoring you. Are you sure you wanna go now? We can wait if you just wanna hang out here.” He said, sounding sincerely sorry. I loved how honest he was.
I sighed. “Alright, I guess, but I’m sitting in between you two so you don’t get all up on each other again.”
He giggled and let go of me. “Oh fine.”
I laughed a little and closed the door, going back over to the couch, sitting on the middle cushion, while Kyle and Colby were on both of my sides. My punishment for separating the two of them: Colby cuddling up to me and Kyle trying to reach Colby from behind me, resulting in my butt being pinched when he meant it to be Colby’s. It was just a big riot and, surprisingly to me, I didn’t mind the butt pinching from Kyle. I kept my cool, though, kept pretending that it was bugging me instead of giving me a slight sense of pleasure. I would hate to do anything to ruin everything between Kyle and Colby because of a few honest mistakes, unless they weren’t mistakes...
I shooed that thought out of my head the instant it came in. That’s ridiculous. Those two were made for each other.
But Kyle was really excited when I told him that I might not be completely straight...
No! I yelled in my mind. That’s fucking stupid. He was just happy for me, that’s all. That’s what best friends do when something good happens, they celebrate with them. And besides, he was happy for me finding Derek, not happy that I wasn’t completely straight.
I laughed a little to myself. I can’t believe I got myself worked up over that. I was just being paranoid.
“Caleb, sweetie, why are you laughing?” Colby asked.
“Sorry, I just thought of something funny I have to tell Austin when he gets back, no big deal.” I lied, looking them both in the eye, smiling.
“Alright, hon...” Colby said, sounding like he was doubting me a little bit. When he looked the other way, Kyle gave me a look that said he didn’t believe a word I told them. I sighed and mouthed “talk later”. He nodded and looked back at Colby, giving him one of those mischievous looks, one that said that he was probably gonna end up pinching my butt again.
Out of nowhere, though, Kyle jumps across my lap to get to Colby, and they start making out for as long as they could before I pulled Kyle back to his side of the couch.
“Caleeeeeeeeeb you’re no fuuuuuuun!” Kyle whined like a 5 year old.
I laughed. “I guess I should probably head home and get some sort of sleep tonight, and I guess I could let you two have some contact with each other.”
“Before that happens, I need to talk to you for a second, okay?” Kyle asked.
“Alright, lets go outside.” I said, getting off the couch with Kyle and going out the front door onto the porch.
Once the door was closed, Kyle asked, “So why were you laughing? And please don’t bullshit me, I can see right through it. I know you better than that.”
I sighed. “This is really awkward and I don’t even know why I was thinking this, but when you were trying to get to pinching Colby’s ass instead of mine, I thought you were getting at mine on purpose and I was getting all worked up about everything that could happen if it were true, even though all of it was ridiculous ‘cause you’d never do something like that to Colby–”
Without warning, Kyle’s lips were pressed against mine, as was his body. Before the situation escalated anymore, I parted from him and pushed him away slightly, a shocked look on my face. “What the fuck, that was not what I was expecting to happen when we got out here.”
“I’m sorry.” Kyle said in a small voice, looking at the ground.
“How long have you felt like that about me?” I asked, trying to take one thing at a time.
“Before me and Colby started going out, but I always knew you were never gonna be into me because you weren’t into guys like that, and when you told me everything about the Derek situation, I got really excited that you just might be, and are, into guys.” He was still talking in the small voice, sounding ashamed of himself for doing this and feeling all this while still with Colby. We both sat down on the step.
“What about Colby? Does he know any of this?”
“I’ve hinted some of it to him, whether he picked up on them or not, I don’t know. I feel so horrible doing this behind his back, and I know he’d never do anything like this to me, which makes me feel even worse.” Kyle put his face in his hands.
“Do you still wanna be with him?” I asked quietly.
“Of course I do. I don’t know what I’d do without him.”
“Then stay with him and let me go to Derek. I don’t want you hurting Colby’s feelings or breaking his heart or any of that shit. It’s happened so many times, and it kills me every time.” I sighed, feeling the urge to cry, but I suppressed it. “He’s been my best friend since, basically, forever, and I don’t want to see his love for you get crushed, too. I care about him a lot, he’s like a brother to me, and you two were practically born for each other. Don’t do anything to fuck anything up, okay?” I said, hugging him tightly.
“How could he be hurt so much? He’s such a sweet guy.” Kyle asked over my shoulder.
I leaned away from him. I didn’t know if Colby told him this or if he even wanted Kyle to know, but I decided to tell him anyways. “Colby’s parent’s pretty much shunned him when he came out to them. He was 16. He got kicked out and had no place to go, so my parents said that he could live with us for a while. School was hell for him, too, always getting teased and made fun of. I felt so bad ‘cause I couldn’t do anything to help.” I wiped the tears falling down my cheeks.
“Basically, from the time he got kicked out to the time he met you, he was a mess of sadness and loneliness. I was the only one on his side, but at times, that didn’t seem to be enough for him. I worried every time I left my house and he was left by himself, because I didn’t know if he’d do anything to hurt himself.”
“Did he ever try to..?” Kyle asked, not able to finish the sentence.
“No, thank god, but if he would’ve never met you, I’m pretty sure he would’ve attempted a few times. So you can call yourself a lifesaver.” I said, a slight smile on my face.
“Wow, I feel like a piece of shit now.” Kyle said, looking at the ground, running his bare foot over the blades of grass.
I sighed. “Well I’m not gonna tell you that you shouldn’t, ‘cause you shouldn’t have pulled that even if Colby’s past wasn’t shitty.”
“I know, I know...” He said, rubbing the palms of his hands on his eyes.
“But don’t beat yourself up too much over this, it was just a kiss, it’s not like we fucked or anything.”
That made Kyle laugh. “That’s very true, I’ll give you that.” He hugged me.
“We should probably get inside so we don’t freak Colby out.” I said, letting go of Kyle.
“Yeah, good idea.”
“So is it gonna be awkward between us at all...? ‘Cause of what happened?” Kyle asked sheepishly.
I shrugged. “I don’t see why it would be, but we’ll just have to see what happens.” I said, opening the door to a pissed off Colby, obviously faking his anger. I have never seen him truly angry; I don’t even know if it’s possible for him.
“You only said a second.” Colby said, his pissed facade slowly fading into a smile as he spoke.
“I know, I’m sorry, I’ll never do that again.” Kyle said, a playful smirk on his face.
“You know, you’re gonna have to pay for this.” Colby said, grabbing Kyle’s belt loops, pulling Kyle into him. “And the price is not cheap.”
“Oh, I’ve paid it, many a time, I think I can afford it, and more.” He said, in a low seductive tone. Kyle broke the mood shortly and looked at me. “This is the part where you leave.” He whispered.
Colby hit him. “Don’t shoo him out like that!” He let go of Kyle and hugged me tightly. “Bye, hun, I’ll call you tomorrow to see how everything’s going.”
I laughed. “Alright, Colby, I’ll see you tomorrow.” I glared at Kyle. “Kyle.”
A smirk played with his mouth. “Caleb.”
Both of our tough guy acts faltered and we hugged.
“See ya.” He said, letting go of me.
“Bye.” I closed the door and heard Colby do his little giggle/squeal before I walked off the porch to my car.