Status: Sequel? Yes? No?

The Joker and the Thief

Crashing

I was greeted by police lights. Before I took stance of the situation a face appeared above me. A face I thought I would never see again. “Hey, kid.” Jim Gordon said with an outstretch hand. I was too tired to say anything as I took his hand but, inside, a small flame of hope had rekindled itself. I remained silent as Gordon relayed the news to me that the Joker was in custody. As a paramedic removed numerous glass shards from my arm, Gordon explain that I would have to be taken in too, for my own protection. Apparently, word had got out that I supposedly ratted to the police about mob dealings and there was a price on my head.

For some reason, none of this bothered me. The Joker had been arrested. Did that mean it was over? My right arm was wrapped in white cloth before I felt the familiar metal of handcuffs around my wrists. Except, for once, my arms were in front of me and I got to sit up front with Gordon on the way to MCU. Together, Gordon and I ignored the small press circle which had formed outside the main entrance as we walked up the steps into the building.

MCU was abuzz with activity. Numerous uninjured goons were being processed and many more phones were ringing, probably the press wanting an update. Gordon ignored all the commotion as he lead me to the cell holding area. The small flame lost a bit of life when I saw who would be my cellmate. I tried to ask for a different cell but Gordon just gave me a sympathetic look before saying the rest were full.

The Joker looked sane for once. He sat there on the small metal bench with his back straight and ankles crossed. His expression was that of boredom. He didn't even acknowledge us as Gordon took off the handcuffs and placed me in the cell. I quietly took a seat a safe distance away from the Joker and the other occupants of the cell. “Oh,. I called your mother, Marie.”

This simple statement caused a small reaction in the Joker. He lifted his head a bit, showing that he was listening. “And?” I asked with no emotion.

“She told me to keep you.” Gordon said with a bit of shame in his voice.

“I wouldn't have expected any less from her.” I said mostly to myself. A few minutes later, I laid down on my side and fell into an unease and unbalanced sleep. It was one of those sleeps were you're never really sure if you're awake or sleeping. I was on the cold concrete ground when I woke up. For a brief, hopeful second I had forgotten where I was. But then reality hit me. Reality's a real bitch.

I didn't waste the energy getting off the floor. But my desire of returning to a pain free sleep was snatched away when one of Gordon's cops loudly opened the cell and asked me to get up. I was escorted to Gordon's office on the other side of the building. Gordon was already inside, waiting with a a large coffee which I graciously accepted. “We need to talk about your future, Marie. And your safety.” Gordon took a serious tone. “We need you to make an official statement but that can wait until morning.” He stopped, waiting for any response from me. None ever came.

“Marie. I feel directly responsible for what has happened to you over the past few days. I never should have pushed you into that position. And I am so sorry but right now your current safety is very important. Chechen and his fellow mobsters believe that you have confessed to the police about the time you were employment by them. I would very much prefer to keep you at MCU but you look like you could use a good nights sleep. So, I'm putting you under protective custody and you're spending the night at a hotel which we will have under around the clock surveillance. Now, Marie, if you ever in your life listen to me it needs to be now. I need you to not runaway. I need you to stay put. I need you to promise me that you won't get into any more trouble...Marie?”

At some point, tears started to roll quietly down my face. “I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything.” My damaged facade was on the verge of breaking completely. The urging in Gordon's voice caused me to see the gravity of situation I had solely gotten myself into. Gordon seemed a bit upset by my uncharacteristic display of vulnerable emotion. Or maybe he was just extremely stressed.

“Marie, please. Just promise me.” His said, returning to his usual, fatherly tone.

“I promise.” I said strongly. Even as I said it, I knew it would be just another promise I broke.