Status: Sequel? Yes? No?

The Joker and the Thief

Changing My Mind

An hour later I parked a simple black car in Gambol’s drive way. As I popped the trunk, two of Gambol’s-suit-wearing henchmen walked up. One of them was the man that had approached me earlier that day. I wasn’t the only one who got of the car; the three men who cornered me in ally also got out and stood by my side. I had yet to learn their names. “What are you doing here, Bradley?” The man on the right side said while adjusting his suit jacket. I remained calm as the Joker’s men walked to the back of the car and opened the trunk. “Let’s just say ‘I changed my mind’.” I said as the men pulled a dead body wrapped in trash bags from the trunk.

Gambol’s men asked no more questions as they lead us into the expensive house. We walked though varies rooms before we entered a large game room equipped with a bar and two pool tables. “Gambol, Bradley’s here. She said she's just killed the Joker.” said one of Gambol’s henchmen. Gambol, dressed in a similar suit, turned away from his game of pool and moved to allow my ‘partners’ to place the body on the table. I didn’t venture far into the room; I leaned against the large open doorway.

“So what made you change your mind, Marie? I thought you didn’t kill people?” Gambol said with a smile playing on his lips. I shifted my weight from my left leg to my right. “I didn’t kill him. They did.” I said motioning towards the others. “Nice hair.” Gambol said before he turned to the body and pulled the bag off of the Joker’s face. “Dead. That’s 500.” He started to move around the table. Many things happened at the same time. The seemingly dead Joker rose from the table, pushed away Gambol’s men before placing a knife to a stunned Gambol. The Joker’s men pushed the others to their knees while holding guns to their heads. I witnessed all this from the safety of the doorway.

“How about alive?” The Joker said in the same malice-filled voice. He then proceeded to tell Gambol how he got the scars on his face which were now battered in make-up. I blocked the story out in order for me to focus on making a plan. I had to think of some way to get myself out of this hole I had fallen into. But I lost focus when I saw Gambol’s limp body fall to the floor with a loud thud. The Joker calmly pulled the black trash bags off and threw them gently to the floor where they partially covered Gambol’s bloody body.

“Now, our operation is small, but there's a lot of potential for "aggressive" expansion.” The Joker said walking around the table. There was a hint of happiness and amusement in his voice. “So, which one of you fine gentlemen would like to join our team? Oh, there's only one spot open right now, so we're gonna have...” He took a pool cue from its place on the wall and snapped it loudly over his knee. “…tryouts.” He tossed one half of the broken cue down in front of Gambol’s helpless thugs before walking in my direction and the exit’s.

In one simple quick motion the Joker put his arm around my shoulders in an adoring way and pulled me with him. My discomfort level skyrocketed in less than a second. I silently walked with him while my heart rate seemed to increase to a dangerous level. I’d been in scary and dangerous situations before; Hell, I spent the majority of my recent life in one, but this current situation, this….man scared me more than anything else I’d ever experienced. The deafening silence between was too great so I broke it. “What do you want?” I managed to keep my voice from shaking.

He stopped walking when we reached the entry way. He removed his arm and turned to look at me; a wide grin was plastered on his face. “What do I want?” He paused and appeared to really think about his answer. “I want your help.” The Joker said in a sweet voice. “Help with what?” I questioned; curious as to why. “I need your help to kill Batman of course. Now, I now you don’t kill people but I really need your expertise here.” He took a few steps closer; making me uncomfortable again. “And if I say ‘no’?” I decided to explore my options. He swiftly pulled a small knife from his jacket pocket and held it gently to my cheek. A shiver of fear crawled down my back. “Let’s just say it won't be pretty.” The Joker said with a smile before erupting into a fit of laughter. I had no choice. I had to help this madman in his insane quest to kill Batman and hope the Joker didn’t kill me in the process.