This Still Belongs to You and Always Will

Chapter 33

Elena’s P.O.V:
*Four months later*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!”

Both Katie and I shrieked in shock as the figure in black jumped out at me. Then there was laughter. It was just Dad. He smirked at us both and went into the living room. We both released low growls after him. His laughter rang through the house. As resentful as I was for him scaring both me and Katie, I was secretly relieved to see him relaxed for once.

Ever since what happened, he’s been really quiet and jumpy. He hated being left alone and his fingers were always twitching. So it was kind of a relief to come home to a house decorated to its Halloween theme and have Dad pounce out from under the stairs. There’s this space under the stairs and he covered it with a black sheet and a bunch of fake cobwebs.

Not funny Dad!” I protested bitterly.

He laughed again and turned back to the paused movie. I didn’t even notice it until Katie made it totally obvious by pointing it out.

“You’ve dyed your hair again!”

I looked…... so he had. It was black again. A few days ago he’d been moaning about the re-growth and saying he’d probably re-dye it blond again or just fix his roots. But then he said he wasn’t sure if the length would suit the colour. He hasn’t cut his hair since he had it all chopped off and dyed blond.

“You like?” He questioned, running a hand through the black hair.

“Um…you always do it black.”

He laughed.

“I’m gonna’ spray some red in it later. Just, like, some wash in wash out stuff.”

“Cool.” Katie approved “How come my parents aren’t cool like you?”

“’Cause Frank and me are one of a kind!”

“You can say that again.” I teased.

“But I’m not gonna’.”

We laughed and sat on the other sofa. Dad was watching ‘The Omen’. One of our favourites. Katie’s not so keen on horrors and thrillers and stuff though. She can barely manage ‘The Cave’ for crying out loud.

“Everything set for tonight?” I questioned.

“Yeah,” Dad replied lazily, keeping his eyes glued to the screen “The stuff’s in the kitchen.”

“Ok, cool.”

Dad looked over at Katie, who was firmly avoiding looking at the glowing screen. I laughed and patted her head, looking at Dad. He rolled his eyes mockingly and paused the tv. She peered over at the tv and relaxed.

“You still gonna’ stick around tonight?” Dad asked, looking at her.

“Yeah, if that’s ok.”

“Sure is,” He replied “Otherwise it’ll be just Elena with a bunch of guys and their gals, guy in my case, who’ll probably be drunk.”

“We don’t want that!” Katie exclaimed “She needs someone to get drunk with!”

“I think not!” Dad teased, sticking his tongue out.

Dad’s really cool about drinking and stuff. He doesn’t mind if you get so that you’re just a bit giggly but he’ll put his foot down if you get wasted. He lets me drink at Christmas or on a birthday but he watches me carefully. I remember at his staff party at work one year when some colleague of his had a WKD and he came over to me with it and slurred out ‘’ave a sip’. Obviously I said ‘No thanks’ and he went ‘Go on, I won’ tell your Dad! Jus’ our lil’ secret eh?’ and Frank had to come over and rescue me. Then Dad kicked the guy’s ass. But I don’t blame him. This dude was pretty in-your-face.

“Did you get the cake?” I questioned.

“No. I got Mom to make one.”

“Ok,” I nodded “And you got everything else?”

Yes.”

“Ok, ok,” I replied defensively “Don’t have a cow.”

“It’s the way you seem to think I’m incompetent. I’m more than capable of organising this stuff, y’know; I’ve been doing it for years!”

“Ok, sorry for trying to help.” I mumbled.

Katie and I both left the room and stalked off upstairs to my room. We both collapsed on my bed and stared up at the ceiling just talking about random things. While I talked, my mind wandered to Dad. I can’t help but worry about him these days. He’s been so determined to do things by himself. He won’t even let Frank help him when it’s his turn to cook our dinner for God’s sake. I sighed and refocused on what Katie was saying.

Just to make you all 'happy' again after the last few chapters. This chapter and the next (which, in case you didn't guess, is Frank's birthday party). However, they do add to the fluffiness. All the better for when 'it' happens. Dun dun duuuuuun. Don't worry your pretty little heads about that just yet, though.