Status: Active

Lift You Up

A Way With Words

I spent the rest of the morning buying necessities at Ikea before making my way to JcPenny's to get sheets for the bed I was going to buy. I decided I should probably get a mattress too, so I drove over to Bedding Barn and picked out a cheap but comfortable one that was available that night.

With a mattress strapped to the roof of my Jeep, I drove carefully back to my apartment. After getting lost a few times, I finally found the apartment complex and pulled in triumphantly. I pulled into my spot, and the smile that was on my face a moment before turned into a frown as I realized I had to lug my mattress up two flights to my room.

I grabbed my two shopping bags and lifted them onto my shoulder before getting out of my car and locking it up. I had a staring match with my mattress for a moment before realizing I should try to move it instead of possibly freaking out all the neighbors by just looking at it. Using all of my strength, I unhooked the mattress and pulled it onto the ground. I really need to join a gym to get some arm muscles. I locked my car before pulling the mattress with all my might. It began to move, so I just kept up my momentum as I made my way in the door and up to the stairwell.

I took a deep breath and lugged it up the two flights and into the hallway to where my apartment was. I breathed a sigh of relief as I began easily sliding it down the hallway. Right as I was about to reach my door, the mattress got caught on something and it jolted to a stop. I tripped forward, catching myself before I fell.

I noticed the door across the hall from my apartment was ajar, a box reading District Lines holding it open. I struggled to move the mattress again, but it wouldn't budge. Frustrated, I kicked it, and it tipped sideways, making a loud banging sound on the wall of the apartment across from mine. I tried pulling the mattress back up, but once again it wouldn't budge. I groaned inwardly before trying to think of the positive. I could do this if I just waited a minute and pulled again. I sat down on the ground and took a deep breath.

The door across the hall from mine opened a bit more, and I saw a goofy looking guy pop his head out and look at the mattress almost blocking his doorway.

"I think Christmas came early this year," the guy said, his head turned back into the apartment. I stood up as he turned back around and saw me. I waved awkwardly before rubbing my neck.

"Hi," I said as the guy opened his door fully before walking around my mattress and over to me.

"Hey, I'm Kyle. Thanks for the mattress delivery," He joked. I chuckled before my cheeks began to flush as I stood back up.


"You're very welcome, but actually it's for the apartment across from yours." I said pointing to my door. He smiled at me.

"Oh really? Who moved in there?" He said playing dumb.

"Just this girl who has trouble getting mattresses through her own front door. I'm Irene by the way," I said holding my hand out. He shook it before looking at the mattress.

"I think this is a job for two strong handsome men," He said before putting his fists on his hips like a superhero and sticking his chest out. I couldn't help but giggle at his gestures as he turned back to his apartment.

"Mitchell! Do you know any manly men who can lift things?" He yelled into his apartment. When there was no response, Kyle just looked at me and shrugged.

“Okay Kyle, what were you saying,” A voice said from inside the apartment. The first thing I saw was an Iphone held up by someone hiding behind the door, its camera pointed at me and Kyle.

“What are you doing?” Kyle asked as the voice laughed and the person began moving into view.

“I’m doing my point of view video for the new channel,” He said, oblivious to me being there, “Why is there a mattress in the middle of the-” He stopped as he came around from the other side of the mattress and saw me in his phone. He immediately dropped the phone down before looking at me with a smile.

The first thing I noticed about him was his blue eyes hidden behind nerdy, yet cute, glasses. His choppy brown hair was a little tousled underneath a bright blue beanie. I smiled at him and giggled a little as his face when he saw Kyle wasn’t alone.

“Hi, I’m Irene,” I said holding my hand out to shake his.

“I’m Mitchell. Nice to meet you,” He said, smiling at me.

“Irene needs two strong men to help carry this mattress into her house,” Kyle said to Mitchell.

“Oh, I thought this was like a new sort of security system so burglars can’t get into our house or be able to leave our house,” Mitchell joked.

“Well then I guess the test drive of the system didn’t work out so well,” I said. They laughed a little before Mitchell tapped the side of the mattress.

“Well where would you like us to take this thing m’lady?” Mitchell said in a country accent. I grabbed my key out of my pocket before unlocking my door.

“Right inside is fine if you two don’t mind,” I said as each of them got on one side of the mattress.

“Ready, set, go,” Kyle said as I opened the door and held it open as the two of them pushed and pulled my mattress quickly into the house. They let it lean against a wall before taking a quick glance around the barren apartment.

“Are you sure this is your apartment? You seem much more lively,” Kyle asked, noticing how everything was blank. I blushed, embarrassed by its dullness. Mitchell was staring at me, and I looked down at my body quickly to make sure my zipper wasn’t down or I didn't have a stain on my shirt.

“Yeah, I just got in today, so nothings ready yet. You can just leave the mattress there,” I said before realizing I should probably offer them something to drink or some sort of payment.

“Thank you guys so much.Do you guys want me to pay you or get you something to drink or something?” I asked them, trying not to be rude. They both shook their heads.

“This was no problem. Anytime you need us, we’re right across the hall,” Mitchell said with a smile.

“Do you want to go out for dinner with us later?” Kyle asked.

“You guys aren’t sick of me yet?” I teased.

“Not yet,” Kyle said, “And since you don’t have anything unpacked I thought it would be a good idea for some neighborly fun.”

“That sounds great actually. What time do you want to go?” I asked them.

“How about six?” Kyle said.

“Perfect, see you then?” I asked. Kyle nodded before coming over and giving me a big hug.

“Nice to meet you,” he said as I laughed into his warm chest.

“You too. Nice to meet you Mitchell,” I said waving at him since he was a distance away. He just smiled and waved as I walked the two of them out of my apartment. As they headed back to their own, I closed my door and smiled.

I was making friends.

This was a good sign.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait!