Status: Active

Lift You Up

Let's Keep It Short And Sweet

The next day I woke up late, stretching out on the mattress for a few minutes before hearing a loud knock on the door. I groaned, pushing my hair out of my face and rolling off the mattress onto the hard wooden floor. I winced before sitting up and looking at the door.

"Who is it?" I yelled from my content spot on the floor.

"Ikea delivery," a deep voice said through the door. I gasped, knowing I had completely forgotten that my furniture was coming today.

"Just a minute," I said, scrambling up onto my feet. I put my hair up in a messy ponytail before grabbing a stick of gum and popping it into my mouth, not wanting to have bad morning breath. I slid a bra on under my thin tank top so nothing would be showing as I headed towards the door.

Two scary, burly men stood there, their Ikea shirts too tight for their overweight bodies. I winced a little before smiling at them.

"Good Morning," one man said to me. Before I could say anything, one handed me a slip before the two of them began heaving in boxes of furniture I'd have to set up myself. I saw them bring in box after box, and I almost became overwhelmed by the idea of how many days it would take to put all of this together. As they brought the last three stools in for my kitchen, I gave them both water bottles and tips before they left. I shut my door and looked down to see their dirt marks and scuff marks all over the floor.

"Well this is why my mom always had rugs on her floor," I said to myself before going over to the first box. I realized that I had no scissors, no screwdrivers, and barely any experience putting together furniture. This is when I wished I had family around to help me out. As soon as I began getting sad, I shook the thoughts away and decided I'd take a quick trip next door.

I walked out my door and across the way, realizing this may seem like I'm needy or crazy or unprepared. I figured it wouldn't be too bad. I knocked on their door and waited for a response. There wasn't one.

"Irene?" A voice said from up the hall. I turned to see a sleepy Mitchell walking towards me.

"Hey, were you on the roof all night?" I asked him. He sighed and nodded his head, pushing his hair out of his face. He looked tired, like he hasn't even slept.

"I couldn't sleep, so I just stayed up there and watched the sunrise. Why were you knocking? Miss me that much? Or do you need a manly man to stop an intruder?" He joked. I smiled at him, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I was hoping to borrow a screwdriver and a hammer, because I don't have any at the moment." I said to him.

"Your mattress broke already?" He joked.

"I got my furniture in today, so I need to start putting it together,"

"Do you need some help with that? I may not have been the best in wood shop, but I'm good company."

"That would be great, but if you're tired you don't need to help if you don't want to,"

"Let me just take a shower. I'll be over in a little bit with a screwdriver and some coffee," He said with a smile, fishing his key out of his pocket. I smiled and nodded before heading back to my door. I looked back at him to see him look at me. I bit my lip before heading into my apartment, realizing I needed to shower and get ready before I let him into my apartment.