It Wasn't

Chapter 1

"Because she's 2000 light years away." he sang into the audience with a twinkle in his eye.

As the final chords of the song finished, she released my breath. Standing alone, surrounded by strangers, the men on stage, making heavenly sounds, were the only ones she knew here. And one in particular stood out. For her, he seemed to be the only one there, even he was 2000 light years away.

"Billie Joe," she whispered into the darkness.

Alice knew it was stupid, she really did, but she couldn't help it. Every time she read his words, it was like she was floating away. Each time she heard his voice, it became more and more difficult to believe he was human. To her, he wasn't. To Alice, Billie Joe Armstrong was a god. Before she ever even saw his face, she was in love.

Tonight was the happiest night of her life. After obsessing over him for 10 years, she was going to meet him. As a little girl of 10, she listened along with her mother for the first time. Green Day became a part of her life, like an old friend. Reaching her teens, she developed a little crush on Billie Joe. Now, a woman of twenty years old, after many dates, relationships, classes, friendships, heartbreaks, and hardships, she continued to find solace in the angelic echoes of his voice and created a sanctuary out of the eerie vibrations of his guitar.

She had been to many Green Day concerts, but this one, this one would be the best ever! Alice still could not believe that she, out of all the people in the world, she had a ticket to Green Day's's after-concert party. The band, a few friends of theirs, and 20 fans would be there. And she was one of the twenty.

"Yay!" she couldn't help but think childishly.

Her thoughts were interrupted as the music continued, with the last song of the evening. Billie took out his acoustic guitar while Mike and Tre relaxed, looking exaushted but still excited. It began, the first strains of the song, and then the words.

"Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road..." his voice washed over the audience, captivating everyone.

One by one, people took out lighters and closed their eyes. Alice did the same, letting the music take control of her, as it had done so many times before. Three minutes later, it was over. "Good night everyone, and I hope you had the time of your lives!" Billie screamed into the mic.

"Oh I did" Alice said to herself.

The lights were on now, so she could see again. She reached into her pocket and took out her ticket, with the instructions of where she should go. She cleared out with everyone else, but instead of leaving, she went to the right and took an elavator up to the third floor. Glancing once more at the directions, she went straight and went to the fourth door on her left. Alice was sure that this was the room.

"On my own, here we go," she thought, and opened the door.