‹ Prequel: Lost In The Fire
Sequel: Closed Away

Charlatans And Saints

Fire In My Veins

15 Years Later

“Zack, get your lazy ass up!’

A loud groan escaped my lips as the blanket was ripped off my body, glaring up at Christian. He gave me a playful smirk, nodding to the door. Groaning once more, I pushed myself up and headed for the shower, pissed off that I couldn’t even sleep in a little bit.

The warm water cascaded down, but it only last ten minutes. Then it automatically turned off, a growl ringing out throughout the showers as I realized that Christian had shut the water off once again. He knew if I stayed in here with the shower water, that I wouldn’t get out. Grumbling as I pulled my clothes on and swiftly brushed my hair and applied my liner, I walked out. Grabbing my cell phone I headed down the stairs, grabbing a protein bar off of the kitchen table, “Have fun at work, lazy.”

Flipping him off and mumbling a ‘fuck you’ at Jason, I headed out of the house and down the street. Glancing behind me, I made sure the door was shut and nobody was looking out the windows, then pulled out my lighter. Flicking it open back and forth, a small calming feeling ran through me. It was like smoking a cigarette without the actual cig. The flame never harmed me, simply stayed lit like a work of art.

I seen a mother walker her little boy to school, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Since this whole ‘divorce’ settlement type of thing went on, I was so fucked up in the head that it wasn’t even funny. I didn’t even have the concept of family, only Christian and Jason. It wasn’t like Christian hadn’t worked his ass off to support me, it just wasn’t the same. Christian did everything to try and make me have an okay home setting, but nothing worked. Jason being around meant drinking parties, and that was about it.

Not that I didn’t join in, of course.

But the fact that Gloria never came back was that part that pisses me off the most. For a while I did the whole ‘visiting rights’ thing, but soon she stopped letting me come over. She said it wasn’t the right timing or some shit. I wasn’t stupid though, I knew it had something to do with Jimmy being there. Though I normally didn’t mind him, I did mind him coming first. Needless to say, I barley got a chance to seen her. I gave up begging for them to become a family when I was six, realizing that I was being just as stupid as a princess in a fairytale.

The walk to 7-11 wasn’t that far, but it didn’t stop me from being rushed out of the house in the morning. Christian had started up touring once my mom made it clear that she had found something better in Jingletown, which meant baby sitters for me, or fending for myself.

You grow up quick in a broken home.

7-11 rest just over the border line between Murder City and Jingletown, and I often had to take the long route home. Gangs littered both territories, though I belong to none. I belonged to my own gang, which consisted of Max and Jinx, called The Inferno. We kept to ourselves, Jinx mumbling about how she couldn’t afford to get into anymore trouble than was necessary.

One look at the people sitting in front of the 7-11 and I knew Christian had made the right choice in making me leave early for work. David was standing in the parking lot, some girl firmly wrapped around his waist.

Heading into the building, I tried to ignore everyone there and do my job. However, that was difficult when a bewildered brunette girl walked in the building, mumbling like she had lost her sanity.