Status: stopped

The Elementum

Legatus

Jane followed the mysterious man into the cave.

“Wait!” Sean yelled after her. “We don’t know if he’s dangerous or not. I mean, for all we know he could be the one that made that thing appear!”
Jane looked back at him, and then looked at Tristen, who had a worried look on his face.

“What do you think?” she asked in a soft voice. Sean turned towards Tristen with a look that pleaded him to vote against going.

Tristen sighed, and looked down at the ground pondering what he should say.

“Let’s go,” Jason suddenly said. Jane turned towards Jason then back to Tristen, who nodded in return. The three of them entered the cave.

“Come on, let’s go,” Shana mumbled to Sean. Sean groaned but followed them nonetheless.

As the group made it deeper into the cave they couldn’t see the old man, in fact they could barely see three steps in front of them. The darkness in the cave made them feel uncomfortable, and wary. No one said anything as they walked along the damp interior; the only sound was that of water dripping slowly from somewhere deeper in the cave. Jane held onto the shoulder of Tristen for support, and Shana held unto her arm from the opposite side. They walked slowly deeper and deeper into the darkness.

Sean gave an exasperated sigh.

“Alright old man, where’d you go?” Sean yelled into the darkness. The sudden burst of sound made Jane and Shana jump, and almost on cue a fire appeared a few feet in front of them. “Holy shi-” Sean exclaimed from the shock of the sudden light. Jane covered her eyes so she could adjust to the change.

“Please, sit down,” Legatus said calmly as he motioned to five square cushions lying in a half circle around the fire. Jane gave a hesitant look to Shana who was still clinging to her arm. Shana looked at the cushions, and then back at Legatus. Tristen was the first to sit down followed by Jason, who seemed rather unaffected by the whole situation. Jane looked at the spot next to Tristen, and decided to sit down. Shana followed suit, and cautiously sat next to Jane. Sean let out a sigh, and reluctantly sat to Shana’s right. All of them were silently waiting for the man to speak. Legatus looked slowly and calmly at each of them as if he were memorizing their faces. The warm light from the fire didn’t help ease the tension that filled the atmosphere as all six of them sat in silence.

“I assume you’re all confused by what just happened,” Legatus said in a matter of fact tone. Jason scoffed mockingly at the man’s statement. Sean was about to make a comment, but Shana hit him on the side with her elbow causing him to reconsider.

“I’m here because the world is once again in danger, and it is your duty to save it,” Legatus simply stated, ignoring the previous interruptions. The five friends stared skeptically at the man. Tristen got up to leave. “Don’t leave until you’ve heard my whole story, Tristen,” Tristen snapped his head back.

“How do you know my name?” Tristen asked angrily. Now he was certain that this man was bad news.

“I know all of your names,” Legatus said calmly as he motioned Tristen to the empty seat. Tristen didn’t sit down.

“You didn’t answer his question,” Jason said impatiently as he frowned at Legatus. Jane looked from Tristen to Jason, and back to Legatus. Sean shifted uncomfortably in his seat, ready to leap up and run at any second.

“I know more about you than you think Jason. Now Tristen, please, sit down you’re making Jane feel uneasy,” Legatus said, still avoiding Tristen’s initial question. Tristen looked down at Jane who looked in fact quite nervous, but still didn’t budge.

“You tell us what you want with us right this minute, or we’re leaving,” Tristen warned him. Legatus motioned his hand towards the empty seat once again, and this time Tristen sat down.

“How did you make that creature disappear?” Shana asked.

“Well, I used a bit of magic to do that, but that’s not what I want to talk about with you just yet,” replied Legatus.

“You said the world was in danger?” Shana asked skeptically.

“Yes; let me begin by establishing the basics.” Legatus sighed and lowered his head, closing his eyes as he did so. The light from the fire casted shadows on his face making him look more somber than before. “I’m sure all of you know about the different continents that are spread throughout the earth.”

“Yes, there’s Terra, where we live, Aeros to the west, Pyro to the south, Aqua in the north, and Scindo, the forbidden continent,” answered Jane. Legatus nodded; his eyes looking straight at her before lowering back down.

“Do you know why entrance to Scindo is forbidden?” Legatus asked the group.

“Is this some kind of history lesson? Get to the point old man,” Sean complained.

“Patience Sean; your lack of it will more often than not get you into trouble,” Legatus warned the young man, who once again retreated into silence.

“No one can enter Scindos because dangerous creatures roam freely; that’s why a magical barrier was set in place to protect the rest of the world. Nothing goes in and nothing goes out,” Jason said a little annoyed by the unnecessary interruption.

Legatus nodded and got ready to commence his story…

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Banner by Quizilla member Lunamoon1266