Status: stopped

The Elementum

The Story

“Entrance to the continent of Scindo wasn’t always forbidden. There was a time when it was the most prosperous continent on Earth, and was populated by magical and amazing creatures. Fate, however, had another plan in mind. Three hundred years ago a man by the name of Pavus, once entrusted with the task of protecting the balance of power throughout the world, became corrupted by a deep want of power. This power crave sent him on a mission to take control of Scindo, for if he was to control the continent of Scindo then the rest of the world would fall into their power soon after. He put together a small army of men, whose want of power made them eager to betray whoever was necessary to obtain it, and planned out the way in which he would conquer Scindo. For over a year no one suspected him of planning to overthrow Scindo’s government, so he was free to plan in peace,” Legatus told his story in a dark and remorseful tone. The group of five stared at him not sure whether to believe any of it, but they continued to listen nonetheless.

“Why didn’t anyone notice?” Shana asked unable to control her curiosity.

“Pavus had two faces: that of the hero, which he wore in public, and that of a power crazy tyrant which no one but his army saw. However, someone did notice, but unfortunately no one believed her,” Legatus’s tone saddened as he retold the rest of his story. The group was intently listening to the man’s words. “Her name was Emily. She was Pavus’s lover, and the only person he truly trusted. She was the only one who started to see a difference in his demeanor; he was darker and angrier. One day, Emily overheard him talking to someone in his office. He was talking about some sort of operation to assassinate Scindo’s president. Emily confronted him, but of course he denied it. She loved him dearly, but she too had a responsibility to protect Scindo, for she was part of a group called The Elementum. The group consisted of six warriors, each endowed with a different power. The six of them watched over the five continents. They were loved by the people, and were seen as the epitome of morality and righteousness. Emily told her teammates what she had overheard, but they were all incredulous. They refused to believe that their leader would attempt to do something so horrendous. She let them persuade her that she had probably just misunderstood what had happened. Unfortunately, this grave mistake led Scindo into its demise. The following week Pavus ordered The Elementum to go see to a commotion that was occurring in Aqua. All six of them did as they were told, and it was during their absence that Pavus overthrew Scindo’s government,” Legatus paused as he lowered his head in despair.

“But how could one man do all of that?” Jane asked.

“He wasn’t any ordinary man. Unlike the Elementum, Pavus had the power to control three of the six forces of nature, while they only got one each. That-” Legatus began to explain, but was interrupted by Tristen.

“What do you mean by forces of nature?” Tristen asked.

“The Elementum have control over six forces of nature: Fire, water, air, earth, time and space, and life energy, sometimes called the holy force. Pavus could control fire, water and time and space,” Legatus explained.

Sean scoffed.

“Now I know you’re crazy,” Sean blurted out.

“Think of me what you will, but I assure you I’m telling you the truth,” Legatus said calmly.

“So what happened?” Shana asked eagerly.

“Well, when the Elementum discovered that the commotion in the north had been a hoax they hurried back to Scindo to discover that Emily had been right all along. Unfortunately, it was too late to undo the damage. Pavus had control of an enormous army made up of powerful creatures and men. They fought hard against them, and defeated most of the army’s warriors, but it took quite a toll on them. By the time they reached Pavus they were much too exhausted from the prior fighting to make for decent challengers. They waged a life or death battle against the one who had once been their leader. Pavus, however, was way too powerful; not to mention he knew all of their fighting styles and weaknesses as if they were his own. Sadly, Pavus made sure all of them met their demise... all except Emily. She pleaded him to stop, but he would not listen. Emily hated the thought of fighting the one she loved, but she knew it had to be done. They fought each other with broken hearts and despair. However, he was too powerful, and she couldn’t defeat him. He was going to kill her. With tear filled eyes she began uttering an ancient incantation, one that would seal Pavus’s soul away within one of the seven Divine Crystals. He caught on to what she was attempting to do, and did his best to try and stop her. He attacked her with all his might, but with each blow he dealt her she uttered more and more of the incantation. She was at death’s door, but with her last breath she finished the spell, and trapped him within the Dark Crystal. With this last effort her life ended,” Legatus said while he looked gravely into the fire.

“Was the crystal hidden away?” Jane asked with a worried voice.

“The crystal was never in Emily’s possession. The incantation sent Pavus’s soul into the Dark Crystal, whose location was unknown,” Legatus said, his face set in a deep frown.

“So, why did they seal away the continent of Scindo?” Shana asked.

“The Council of Magic decided that the best way to keep the world safe was to restrict access to Scindo; that way no one would try to find the dark crystal and release Pavus. Knowledge of all that had happened was kept from the general population, and those who knew or were involved were silenced with spells. However, it was only a matter of time before someone got word of what had occurred and decided to do something…foolish…” Legatus ended with a grim tone. He didn’t need to tell them what happened next because they already knew. Someone had gone looking for the crystal, and someone had freed Pavus…