Moments Between Sleep

Still I Know We Speak To Not Forget;

"This is crazy," Alexander Gaskarth mumbled under his breath. His eyes shifted nervously around the room, as if he were afraid to be seen in such a place. "I don't know why I let you drag me here."

"The only reason we are here," I mumbled back through gritted teeth, "is because you'd rather act like a child than admit I'm carrying yours."

"That's such bullshi-"
"Languge, Alex," I cut his words short. "There are children in the room."

Both mine and Alex's eyes scanned to a small, blonde, bubbly little girl playing with building blocks by a small, round, brightly colored table. I watched (having lost interest in Alex) as she pushed her shoulder-length strings behind her ear and carefully stacked her blue and yellow blocks. I couldn't quiet comprehend what was running through my mind- Was it fear, or was it happiness?

I found it almost impossible to believe that I had a child, a child that would one day be as old as that little girl, growing inside of me. A child that I would have to care for until the day I die. Without realizing it, my hand found the bottom of my belly, where a bump was sure to form within a matter of weeks- Maybe days.

"Ayden Flora," a voice broke my thoughts. "Alex Gaskarth? The doctor will see you now."

With a snap of my head, I could feel my body lifting off the chair as I remained in my daze. I slowly started walking towards the woman, dressed in light pink scrubs. Walking past her, I could hear Alex groaning behind me. Ignoring him, I followed her into a small room.

"Go ahead and undress, dear. Dr. Canvas will join you in a minute or two."

I gave a deep sigh as I began to peel off my clothes. I saw, from the corner of my eyes, Alex's lip slightly twist as he attempted to look away. Maybe there was a decent side to him after all.

I slid on the ugly gown and comfortably positioned myself on the bed. I laid my head back, staring at the ceiling. I didn't want to break the silence; I couldn't take anymore of Alex's nagging.

"You added my name to the chart," he spoke. "Why would you do that? I'm well known around here."

"Then it will be well known that I'm carrying your child."

"That baby could be anyone's," he shot back. "Just because I have money doesn't mean that I'm the father."

"Please, Alex, it's barely about the money. I can take care of myself and this child. I just want it to have a father."

"Then why don't you go bother it's father?"

Before I could say a witty comment back, the door opened, and Dr. Canvas entered with a large smile pressed upon his lips. Without speaking, he put on a pair of blue gloves, took a seat next to me, and turned on his machine.

"Hello, there. How are we today?"

I gave a slight gasp as he poured that icky, icky stuff on my belly. I squirmed a little, but gave him a soft smile. "I'm okay."

"Good, good." He nodded, grabbing something that looked like an electric shaver. "Have any idea how far along you are?"

"About a month, give or take."

"And you took a home pregnancy test?"

"Yes."

"It could be a false alarm, do you know that? It's hard to tell before we pass the six weeks."

I could feel a lump forming in my throat as a smile spread across Alex's face. I could feel my body stiffen as the doctor put the machine to my stomach, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Wait for it," he mumbled. A few seconds later, a small heart beat echoed. "And there it is!"

"Is that a heart beat?" Alex dumbly asked. "Is it really?"

"Oh yes, and, oh!" I was afraid the doctor was going to clap with delight. "There, do you see? There's the baby!"

I was afraid my heart had stopped beating. In front of me, on a large screen, there was a small person the size of my finger nail. I gave a small gasp, as a smile formed on my lips, and tears began to swell in my eyes.

I had almost forgotten the world existed, when I heard a large sigh from Alex, and felt his rough fingers dangle on my shoulder.

"Oh my gosh."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys!
It's been ages, but I wanted to update this!
Comments, pleaseeee!
(: