Sequel: A Healing Touch

It Rains When I Cry

Chapter Five

When Ana hung the phone up she looked at Johnny. He touched her face to wipe away a tear that had fallen and then pulled her to him as he noticed that there was a light rain coming down. It was just a mist, but he suddenly realized what that one statement to whoever had answered the phone meant.

“Johnny you probably think I’m crazy.” She said when she realized that he wasn’t asking about the comment and had figured it out for himself.

“No, no you’re not. You’re special.” She looked up into his brown eyes and sighed.

“I’m cursed.”

“How?”

“Look out there, see it, the rain, even the simplest tear of any kind from my eyes and no matter what the forecast is it rains.”

“Every curse can be broken.” Johnny said and lowered his lips to hers. She returned the gentle kiss and when they pulled apart she looked up into his eyes once more. This was happening way too fast, but it felt so damn right and there was no warning signal telling her that it was wrong this time.

“You really think so?” She asked as he opened the door for her to go in.

“Mhmm.”

“So what the hell happened over there?” Matt asked pretending that he and Jimmy hadn’t been spying on them and seen the kiss that they had shared.

“Well you said you’re starting to believe in ghosts right?” Johnny asked him.

“After what just happened you better fucking believe it.” Matt muttered.

“I think and Nana agrees with me that there’s two people trapped in that house that can’t move on…” Ana glanced at Johnny and he took over.

“Earlier when we told you how we found the nursery, we also saw a ghost. It was female and we saw her again when we went back over there. She was warning us that it wasn’t safe there at night. She was warning Ana.”

“She knew my name. I think that it’s the woman that was killed over there. Nana said she could try and come out to help me. I need her help but I need yours too Gena.”

“What can I do?”

“Find me anything that you can on the people that lived in that house maybe as far back fifty to sixty years.”

“Well it had been vacant for almost what ten years Zack?”

“Something like that, at least that’s what they told us when we moved in. Something about the family that owned it didn’t want to sell it, and then the old man that owned it died and his kids sold it.”

“So maybe whatever this other spirit is had something to do with that family. You think we can find them?”

“I can try Ana.” Gena said.

“I loved that house and I got it so my little girl wouldn’t have to grow up in apartments. It just figures that I’m finally able to give my baby something I wanted to give her more than anything and the place is haunted.”

“How far does your Nana have to travel?” Matt asked suddenly.

“She moved back to Louisiana when they rebuilt her house. After the hurricane. I’m originally from New Orleans.” Johnny smiled at the way she said it. “She said she’d try to get out here.”

“What if we paid for the ticket. We’ve barely known you that long, but there’s just something different about you. I mean hell you didn’t even freak when you found out who we are.” Brian said.

“No that you didn’t.” Jimmy said agreeing.

“And you’re one of the most down to earth people I’ve met in a long time.” Johnny said and they all noticed how he said I, instead of we. Jimmy shook his head. Johnny wasn’t falling, he had already landed in love with the woman. It was completely obvious. Ana looked at him and suddenly but very briefly remembered how his lips had felt on hers only minutes before. She smiled gently in his direction.

“You guys don’t have to do that.”

“We want to.” Zack told her.

“Just whatever you need we’ll help alright.” Johnny said looking at her. She nodded and turned as she heard her baby girl moving around. She smiled and walked over to her and picked her up before sitting on the couch with Kaila leaning against her chest going slowly back to sleep.

“You’ll stay here tonight, and when your Nana gets here, you are all three welcome to stay.” Zack said nodding at Kaila too to let her know the child could obviously stay as well.

“Careful Zack having a kid in the house might give Gena ideas.” Matt muttered to his friend after Gena left the room to get towels.

“Having a kid around is giving me ideas.” Zack responded quietly, so only Matt could hear him. Matt shook his head and laughed at his friend. Gena came back in with towels and passed a few to Johnny and a few to Ana who carefully moved her daughter and began to dry her hair after she lay her daughter on the couch. She stood and flipped her hair forward after she towel dried it and wrapped it in a dry towel before she handed Gena the other towel back. Johnny sat down on the floor in front of the couch where she had lain down with her daughter behind her legs, and her head on the arm rest of the couch.

“Well everyone knows where the spare rooms are, Johnny why don’t you show Ana to one of them.”

“The couch is fine. But thanks Zack.” Ana said as the others made their way from the room. Zack pulled Gena into the kitchen before they headed upstairs and after a very quiet discussion they grinned as they made their way up to their room. Johnny rolled his eyes, knowing what his friends were up too. He turned his head to look at her.

“You gonna be okay?”

“Yeah, I just don’t get it, it’s like she was warning me that first night I think.”

“You saw her before?”

“No, but I got this eerie feeling, like I was being watched and got up to check the doors and check on Kaila and everything was fine. But earlier when I went to put her to bed that first night the crib was in the middle of the room and the dresser was moved. The only thing that has never been destroyed is the crib.”

“Maybe she stopped whatever from breaking the crib.”

“Whatever that other thing is, is definitely what killed her though.” Ana said when Johnny turned fully to look at her.

“Maybe, but something tells me you want to find out.”

“Yeah I really do.” She said smiling.

“I’ll help”

“Thanks” She whispered a moment before their lips met once more.