Sequel: A Healing Touch

It Rains When I Cry

Chapter Nine

Megan pulled up just a few moments after Gena left. Ana looked at her friend and hugged her. She nodded to her and she spoke.

“Just like New Orleans…”

“Only violent, not scared.” Ana responded back to her friend.

“Right, let’s do this.” Megan said. They walked next door and Johnny unlocked the door. They walked in and Angelique walked from room to room downstairs before going up the steps. Matt looked at the floor and suddenly a thought came to him.

“Angelique?”

“Yes?”

“Can you physically harm a ghost?”

“How so?”

“Like a knife wound or something along those lines.” Matt’s green eyes were on the knife that lay at the bottom of the steps. They had all stepped over it.

“If it can materialize, then yes.”

“So basically if it can toss a knife at someone, and stab someone then it can be harmed physically?”

“Yes”

“Good.” and Matt picked the knife up and Ana saw the hatred in his eyes.

“Be careful” she said as they followed Angelique upstairs. She tucked her hair behind her ear and placed a smile on her face. To try and make herself feel better. She took the key from her pocket and walked to the door.

…be prepared you open that door and he’ll walk in the daylight…

They all turned and saw Cara standing holding the child she had seen her holding that morning. She walked over to stand in front of the woman. It was chilly standing that close to her. The others just watched,

“You rearranged the nursery didn’t you?”

…yes…

“It was how you had hers wasn’t it?”

…Yes, I’m sorry I scared you Ana…

“How do you know me?”

…I felt something a long time ago, something I knew I could ask for help and I found a way to get that help during the daytime while he’s locked in the attic. Other spirits helped me send you signs…

“Can he leave the house?” Ana asked she suddenly thought about something.

…only if he saves his energy, he’s only done that once…

“A year ago.” Ana said.

…how did you know…

“Where we’re you shot Cara?”

…through my heart…

“So was my mother, a year ago as of the day I moved in here.”

…I’m sorry…

“I’m not loosing this time. How can we help you leave, and move on?”

…when he is gone I may be able to move on…

“Cara…” Ana turned as Leana spoke.

…yes…

“What did you find in the attic?”

…secrets, maps marked with crosses…

“Not X’s?” Jimmy asked

…no, find my Brook…

And with that she was gone. They looked at one another and then to Angelique.

“I’ll stay until they are both gone Ana.”

“Thanks Nana. Okay look there are ten of us and one of him. Something tells me we should be able to hopefully get the papers she was talking about. But there’s something else. He’s ready for us.”

“Every curse comes with a gift…” Megan said smiling.

“You found your gift.” Angelique said smiling.

“Is she still cursed?” Megan asked.

“No, Johnny broke it.” Ana said smiling. “By seeing past it and not judging me. Everyone be careful please. We lost one person, I don’t want to loose anyone else.” They all nodded and Ana unlocked the door. They made it all the way up the stairs before he made his presence known. What happened next happened fast. The guys made a distraction and the girls quickly found the maps that Cara had been talking about. They thought that they were in the clear when they got to the stairs. Ana had left the door open, but turned the lock on the back so when they shut it would lock him back in. They were down the stairs and Matt was the last one at the door.

“Shut the door Matt!” She yelled at him.

…NO!!!!!!!!!… the spirit yelled and next thing any of them new a solidified apparition stood at the top of the steps and a gunshot sounded at the same time that Matt threw the knife at the apparition. Cara appeared just before the bullet tore through Matt’s heart. Zack rushed forward and slammed the door shut and they could hear the man screaming about being locked away. Matt on the other hand was out cold. He had hit his head when he hit the wall. He was also bleeding from his chest and the wound on his side.

…Get him to a hospital, he’ll be fine…

“We’ll find your daughter Cara.” Leana said quietly as the woman faded out of sight and the guys helped get Matt out of the house. Angelique stood there and looked at the bullet in the wall. She pulled a hair pin from her hair and dug it out of the wall. She pocketed it. “What is that for?”

“It’s the bullet that he shot so, maybe I can get something off of it.”

“You and Ana, you’re different.”

“We have a sense that some people call crazy, and think we are insane and belong in hospitals.”

“What curse was Megan talking about?”

“It rained when Ana cried. Only someone who could love her for who she was and see past that could break it.”

“And you, what’s yours a gift or a curse?”

“Visions are both. Not everything I see is happy.”

“I saw my grand daughters death.”

“Ana’s your great granddaughter?”

“Yes, I am an old woman, but we live long lives some of us.”

“We should get out of here.”

“Yes, we should.”

The two of them walked down the stairs and Angelique got sidetracked as she walked into past the living room. She entered it and Leana followed. Ana walked back in and watched the two of them and smiled. The others were going on to the hospital, she said she’d follow in her car with the two women still inside. She stood there watching as her Nana ran her hand over the one book that she had sat out on the coffee table. She smiled as Angelique picked it up and they all walked outside.