Status: Completed

High School Is the Least of Our Worries.

Chapter 8

Gerard

I wake up in the middle of the night, remembering the conversation we’d had earlier, and how wonderful it made me feel. I try to move, then realise something heavy’s weighing me down. Frank’s sleeping on my shoulder, his eyes flickering with a dream. I look down at him, resisting the rather strange urge to kiss the top of his head. He starts to shiver, and I realise that he just has a thin T-shirt on, covering his amazing chest. I lift his head gently off my shoulder, feeling him stir but not wake, and take off my warm jacket and put it around him. He snuggles into it, still taken over by sleep, and rests back on my shoulder.

I start to shiver, my arms not yet used to the cold night air. I don’t mind. Frank’s warm; that’s all that matters right about now. I snuggle up to him, trying to get warm, and, with great difficulty, fall asleep once more.

Frank.

“Mommy, wheres daddy gone?” I ask my mom who was sitting on a cold metal chair in a hospital waiting room. A doctor had just come to see us, he was talking to mommy with long words which I didn’t understand.

“Darling,” Mom sniffs, “Daddy’s not going to be here any more,” She continues, wiping her eyes. My bottom lip starts to tremble and I look at her with wide eyes.

“W-why not?” I stammer.

“Sweetheart… Daddy was killed in a car accident,” she explains as her eyes fill with tears.

“B-but we were gonna go fishing tomorrow,” I whisper, tears trickling down my cheeks.

"I know, baby," She coos as she pulls me into her arms. I want my daddy back…


I jump awake from the vivid dream I’d been having. My heart pounding and my palms feeling sweaty. I look around at my surroundings and realise I’m still in Gerard’s car. I also realise I have an extra layer of clothing on than what I fell asleep in; Gerard’s jacket. I look over at his still sleeping form and smile, reminding myself to thank him when he woke up. I rub my eyes and ruffle my hair sleepily. It’s stopped raining by now, a dull grey cloud hanging over us, typical Jersey. I hear groans from behind me and look around, seeing Gerard stirring.

“Morning,” I say to him as he rubs his eyes and runs a hand through his greasy black mop of hair.

“Wha s’time?” He mumbles and I look at the clock on the dashboard.

“6:30,” I reply as I stretch. “Thanks for the jacket by the way.” I say smiling at him as I remove the jacket.

“Oh... uhh yeah, don’t mention it,” he replies, taking the jacket from me and slipping it on, bringing the sleeve up to his face and breathing in deeply...

What the fuck?!