The hardest part is the awful things that I've seen

Ethan.

In March of 2002, Stacey left Mom for good because of infidelity. When Mom told me, I started crying along with Mom.

"Oh, thank God!" I whispered as Mom disappeared into her bathroom. I heard shrieking sobs and sharp clinks! as I started to watch TV, but I ignored it.

When she came out, her perfect, but slightly flabby, arms and legs were covered in razor cuts.

"Mom?!" I asked. "What happened?!"

She brushed me off to go into her room.

Two weeks later, she sat me down.

"Brandy." she said. "I'm pregnant."

"Really?!" I said happily.

"Yes." she said. "And I'm getting an abortion."

My face fell and I started crying.

"Shut up." She snapped. "We're going in tomorrow."

Now, at this point, if you're like, "Why isn't she in school ever?" When I was in 3rd grade, I switched to a year-round school which meant I went for six weeks and then got three off, so a portion of these events happened on either breaks or weekends.

So, the next day we drove to the hospital. The doctor sat us down and Mom told him what she wanted and pulled out a wad of cash.

"Miss", he started, counting it, "you don't have enough. You're off by about 60 dollars and you're too far into pregnancy to abort. Sorry."

Mom did her ultra-sound, and we left.

"Listen." she said in the car. "Don't tell Nana about this, okay? She's never gonna know."

I nodded obediently.

As the summer wore on, Mom's bump got bigger and bigger. Nana came and went and never said anything until my 9th birthday party. I had strep throat.

"Mom, I'm pregnant."

"I know, sweetie."

Mom flashed a glare at my sick form.

"Did Brandy tell you? Little brat."

Nana sighed. "No, I figured you were. You haven't mentioned your jumbo tampons for a while."