‹ Prequel: Force of Nature

Laws of Nature

prologue

“She's a freak,” said one of the adults to another as they looked at her with disgust. “I can't believe her father allowed such a thing to be born.”

“Don't you know? He loves his wife.” The other adult sneered, “God only knows why he loves that bitch. Being a human and all.”

Lillian stood in front of the adults sniffling as tears were in her eyes. She was only six and she was used to people calling her names and picking on her and her parents. Her father was Alpha of their pack and they did it even when he ordered them not to speak hatefully in front of his daughter.

They did it anyways. Even with their Alpha in the room they called Lillian names.

Freak.

Mutant.

Defective.

Except she didn't know why. She looked like everyone else. She sounded like everyone else. She even did what everyone else did but no matter how much she tried she was still a freak.

“What are you looking at?” The first adult sneered before pushing her away from them.. Lillian looked at her feet before walking away from them, “God, what an ugly kid.” She heard the adult say before she was out of earshot.

She cried then, the tears spilling over and onto her cheeks. She knew she wasn't ugly. Her mommy and daddy told her so every day. That's why they named her Lillian, after the flower which was always pretty, even in the ugliest places. Well, that was what her mother told her anyways. She'd never seen a lily before but if her mother said it was pretty then it had to be.

Lillian entered her parents’ bedroom to see her mother sitting on the bed sewing a quilt together. When Lillian came into the room crying she set aside the quilt and went to her daughter, “What’s wrong, honey?” When she just sniffled her mother put an arm around her and led her to the bed. “The pack was mean to you again?”

“Yes,” Lillian whimpered as she sat down on her parents’ bed with her mother and toyed with the edge of the quilt her mother was making.

Her mother sighed and sat down with her, “What did they say?”

“That I'm a freak and that I'm ugly,” Lillian cried before wiping at the tears on her cheek. “Why am I ugly mommy? I look like everyone else.”

Lillian's mother stroked her cheek gently before saying, “You're beautiful Lillian. You look the same as everyone else and they are just to narrow minded to see how beautiful you really are.”

“Then why am I ugly? Why doesn't anyone like me?”

“Because you’re different in a way they can't physically see. Remember when I told you that daddy and I were different from one another but were the same as others?”

“Yes,” she sniffled.

“Well, daddy and I loved each other so much that we decided to have you. Except you are different from everyone but have part of me and your daddy.” She pulled her daughter to her tightly and said, “Don't listen to what they say Lillian. You are beautiful and special and your daddy and I both love you very much.”

Lillian nodded, even though she still didn't understand why everyone hated her just because she was different.