‹ Prequel: Force of Nature

Laws of Nature

nine

The door was answered by Paxton, Travis's second-in-command and lap dog. Paxton was a large male, meatier were most were lean with fists the size of the head of sledgehammers and gave violence a whole new meaning.

When he saw Lillian his upper lip lifted in a sneer, “I thought Travis told you to never come back.”

She went to take a step but back Darryn stopped her, setting a hand against her lower back reassuringly. “I'm... I'm here for Tanner.”

“And you can't have him. Now get away from here and don't come back,” The beta went to slam the door but Darryn stopped it, wedging his foot between the door and its jam.

“I demand to speak to the Alpha.”

Paxton looked at Darryn and back the others like he hadn't noticed they were there before Darryn had intervened. Narrowing his eyes, he looked over Darryn like assessing him, seeing if the male could beat the shit out of him or not. “And you have no right to demand anything from me.” He looked back and forth between the two and added. “If you know what’s good for you, you’ll get away from her before she tears your pack apart.”

The beta went to close the door again and Darryn stopped him, “Let me see him now,” he growled.

This time Paxton decided force would show them he meant business so he pulled back his fist and swung at Darryn. He moved out of the way the last minute and Rurik lunged, grabbing the man and had him in a head lock before anyone else could react. Darryn motioned for Lillian to enter the house and she did, followed closely by him and the rest of the pack.

When he saw everyone entering the house Paxton began to yell for Travis who immediately rushed into the room. “What the hell are you doing here?!” He growled at Lillian before glancing at everyone else. “And who the hell are these people?”

“I want Tanner.” She said, that was all she could say now that the knot in her stomach had migrated up into her throat.

“He’s my son, you can’t have him.”

“Yes I can. He’s mine too and a baby needs its mother.”

He laughed at her, “Yeah, some mother you would be. Poisoning him for any future pack he could lead.”

“Give her the boy,” Darryn growled at him, becoming annoyed with the man.

Travis growled back, “Who do you think you are coming into my home and demanding things from me?”

“I’m Darryn Slater, her new pack leader. She wants her son and she will have him when we leave.” He glanced at Lillian. “Go get your son, Lil. Ame, you go with her.”

Lillian headed towards a closed door across the room, Amelia following close behind her. Travis growled and lunged towards the women but Kale followed suit and lunged for him, knocking him to the ground and pinning him there, his arm pressed against his throat.

“Don’t you dare try to attack my mate,” He growled before grabbing the male’s arm and turning him onto his stomach before wrenching the arm behind his back. Adrik stood next to Kale, as if waiting for the man to get out of the hold so he could lay him out.

“What the hell did she do? Whore herself out for all of your protection. You’re welcome to the bitch.”

Adrik kicked the man in the side, “You do not call the mother of your child a bitch.”

“She’s a no good half-breed. She defies the laws of nature.”

Darryn growled and stomped over to where Kale had him pinned and got onto his haunches as Adrik kicked him again. “There is nothing wrong with Lillian and you had best remember that.”

He looked up to see Amelia and Lillian still standing there, watching them and waiting. “Go get your son.”

Lillian threw open the door to the small room and rushed inside. She immediately ran to the crib that was on the left wall and looked down to see her son sleeping with one of his little fists pressed to his mouth and the other trapped somewhere under his little body. He had no clothes except for his diaper on and was covered in one of the fleece blankets she had bought him.

She smiled and tears came to her eyes as she picked the little boy up in her arms and held him to her chest, he squirmed a bit before dozing off again. “Do you need to me grab anything?” Amelia asked as she touched the little boys head.

“Could you grab his diaper bag and the empty one from beneath the crib and fill it with his clothes?” She asked as she rocked her son in her arms. When Amelia had the bag so full that the zipper wouldn’t even zip they left the room to see that they still had the two men pinned, Paxton still in a headlock looking as angry as ever and Travis was yelling about how he would track them down and tear them apart.

The rest of the pack stood in the hall and doorways, fear on their face at the sight of their alpha and beta being overpowered but when they saw her fear was replaced by disgust.

Darryn looked up and nodded at Lillian and Amelia, “Go to the car, we’ll be out in a minute.”

Both woman went out and got into the back seat, Lillian carefully shifting Tanner so she could buckle up before settling him on her lap. “He’s a hard sleeper.” Amelia noted as she watched.

“Yeah, he always has been. I’m just so happy to have him with me again, now I don’t have to worry about what Travis is doing to him.”

“My brother can be pushy for good reasons sometimes. But you just can’t let him push you around all the time.” Amelia told her just as the back door opened and Kale got in next to Amelia. Darryn and the twins sat up front and all of them were quiet. “So, what did you tell whats-his-face?”

“That if he wanted to try to get Tanner back that he’d be dealing with more than just a twisted arm.”

Rurik, who was driving again, pulled away from the house and headed back towards Maine.