‹ Prequel: Force of Nature

Laws of Nature

eleven

Amelia's words still rang in Lillian's head hours later as she fed her son diced carrots. She couldn't seem to stop thinking back and trying to figure out if she did have any inkling about Darryn being attracted to her, but nothing he had done hadn't stood out.

“Lillian,” someone said to her.

Snapping out of her daze she looked to see Darryn enter the kitchen, “Oh, hi.”

“How are you?” He asked, this sudden conversation made Lillian think that Amelia had talked to Darryn.

“I'm fine. How about you?” She asked as she fed Tanner the last bite of carrots.

“Eh, I'm good. How's the little guy?” Darryn asked as he took out a can out of the fridge on popped the top.

“He's doing good,” Lillian smiled as she took a napkin off the table and wiped off his face and hands. “I think he's about ready to say his first word.”

“Really? He doesn't talk yet?”

“No, but thats okay. He's kind of speech delayed but I can just tell he's retaining all this information so he can surprise everyone.” She picked him up out of the new highchair and set him on her hip. “He's very smart, he just doesn't like people to know it.”

“There is nothing wrong with that,” Darryn stated as he set his can down on the counter. “I haven't been meaning to avoid you either, I just thought you'd prefer some time alone with your son.”

Frowning she stated, “Amelia talked to you.”

“Yeah and she all but tore my head off, saying that I was being a bad pack leader by treating you like the plague.” Running a hand through his hair he added, “And I haven't been treating you like the plague. Like I said, I just wanted to give you time with your son.”

“Its alright. I was just... I thought you might have been mad at me because you invited a pack war over me.”

“I'm not worried. Travis doesn't seem the type to attack me unless I'm down and I don't go down easy.”

“But he wouldn't hesitate to rig our cars to explode or burn the house down,” Lillian told him. “I don't want anyone hurt over this, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if someone was hurt.”

Darryn put his hand up to stop her words, “Don't worry about it. If something happens the fault falls on my shoulders.”

“But--”

“Lillian I said don't worry about it and I mean it. Just drop it.”

“O-okay then.” Biting her lip she looked down at Tanner who was contently resting in her arms, looking around the kitchen. “Do you have a phone I could call Amelia on?”

He nodded, “In my office.”

“Thanks,” she muttered as she followed him to his officer. She expected him to sit in the chair but he surprised her by pulling it out for her and dialing the number for her.

“If she doesn't answer right away just call her again,” Darryn stated as he handed her the receiver and plopped down on the other side of the desk.

The phone was picked up on the tenth ring and a breathless “Hello” was muttered.

“Amelia?” Lillian asked hesitantly.

“Oh, I thought you were my brother.” Lillian heard a rustle on the other end before Amelia asked, “Anything wrong.”

“No, I just wanted to know if you'd watched Tanner for me. I was going to go into town and I don't have a car seat for him, I was gonna pick one up.”

Amelia let out a moan before saying, “Kale stop, I'm on the phone. Sorry, I can't Lil. I started my heat last night and I'm a bit... tied up at the moment.”

“O-Oh. I'm so sorry that I bothered you during... uh. Yeah. I'll just go now. Have a... good time.”

“I definitely will. I'll call you later.” The other line went dead and Lillian replaced the receiver.

“What'd Ame say?”

“She started her heat last night,” Lillian couldn't help but blush because she knew what she had obviously interrupted. “Thats okay though., I'll just wait until she's done with her heat.”

“What was it you need to do?”

“I was gonna run into town and buy him a car seat and some other stuff. I'd love to take him with but I don't have a seat for him.”

Darryn rearranged himself on the seat before saying casually. “I can watch him for you.”

Lillian shook her head, “No! I couldn't let you do that. You're probably so busy with all the stuff you need to do and he can be fussy at times.”

“I finished everything that was important and I've dealt with my shares of children so him being fussy wouldn't even faze me.”

Sighing she knew that if she even tried to argue with him would be useless, since she always seemed to give into his logic anyways. “Okay then.”

Darryn smiled and stood up, leaning over the desk and taking her son out of her arms gently. “Keys are on the entry way table. Take your time.”

As he walked away Lillian could help but watch him leave, cradling her son against his chest.