‹ Prequel: Force of Nature

Laws of Nature

three

Lillian groaned and turned away from the bright light that was so bright it hurt her closed eyes and made her head throb harder.

“The light will hurt your eyes for a little while.” An unfamiliar male voice informed her calmly.

She sat up quickly and her head snapped towards him, her eyes hurting the least of her problems now that she knew she was in the company of someone she didn't know. “Who are you?”

“You're in my territory so I'm the one who is going to be asking the questions.” The man told her as he leaned back in his chair and cross his legs at the ankles.

She looked him over taking in his appearance quickly. He was tall, but not extremely so, a few inches over six feet at the most. His body was lean and muscular under a tight fitting wife beater and baggy blue jeans. His hair was black and his eyes a warm tone of brown. He was a dominate male, definitely the Alpha male of his pack. A force not to be reckoned with, “Lillian... My name is Lillian.”

He nodded, “My name is Darryn and you're in my pack house. Would you mind telling me how you managed to get two miles away from your car into the woods?” He asked casually.

“Two miles?” Lillian asked, shocked. “I actually got that far?”

“Yeah, and your car is sitting in my driveway after I had it towed here. Its not drivable though. Not that it should have been before,” He added.

She groaned and flopped back against the pillows, “Oh god, I'm never taking my eyes off the road ever again.”

“Now, I have more serious questions for you.” His eyes narrowed on her. “What are your defects?”

Confused, Lillian looked at him, “Excuse me?”

“You're Jumătate a creşte. What are your defects?”

Her confusion mounted, “What the fuck is that?”

“Half Werewolf,” Darryn supplied. “Now answer my question.”

Lillian paused, thinking for a moment what he could gain by knowing that and determined he couldn't achieve anything with the knowledge so he might as well know. “Its limited. I lack pigment; my hair is white and my skin is very fair. That's it really.”

He nodded, accepting her answer before leaning over and checking her head and what she assumed were stitches pulling at the skin around the cut. “Why aren't you with your pack?” He asked.

“I was banished,” she said, the last word coming out bitterly.

“Why?”

“My pack doesn't like that I'm only half of what they are. They turned their noses up at me and turned me out.” She said then added more for her benefit. “I don't need them anyways, I can do it on my own.”

“How did they find out?” Darryn asked then said, “I assume they found out because they accepted you into the pack to begin with.”

“I'd rather not say,” she stated cautiously before eying him suspiciously, “Why are you interrogating me?”

“I like to know what I've gotten myself into by helping you.” He sat back down in his chair in the previous position he had been in before asking, “Do you need a place to stay?”

“I can't stay with you. I've already put you out,” Lillian said hastily.

Darryn shook his head, a frown appearing on his lips. “Answer my question,” He demanded.

“Well... Yeah, but that's besides the point.”

“Stay here and see if you like the pack. I have a very small pack. Its just me, my two Betas and three others. We have plenty of room and we are very accepting of differences.”

“I...” she sighed and closed her eyes, “fine, but if I don't like it you'll allow me to leave? No questions asked, I get to walk out the front door and you aren't going to make me stay?”

“Yes, of course. Now I'll show you your room.” Darryn said, a pleasant note to his voice as he stood up.

“You mean this isn't my room?” She asked as she looked around the interior of the room for the first time.

He shook his head, a small smile coming to his lips. “No. It's mine.”