‹ Prequel: Force of Nature

Laws of Nature

four

“Of course you can, Ame.” Darryn said into the phone, his heart soaring at the question he had just answered.

“Good. It's just that Kale and I want to give his parents a break from my heat and it would be nice to visit you.” She explained, “I've missed you.”

“I've missed you too, Ame,” he replied.

“Besides,” she paused before continuing. “Kale and I have decided that we're going to try and settle down... In Maine.”

His heart almost flew out of his chest at her words. “Seriously?” The excitement was evident in his voice as he asked, “Why?”

“Yes I'm serious and because his pack is there and you're there. It would just be better. And if I start to breed I want to be there.”

“Ame...” Darryn trailed off.

“I feel it coming soon. I mean, its not like we've been trying or anything but before my heats I usually feel it but its never been so... subtle before.” She went quiet for a moment before whispering, “I want to have babies, Darryn.”

“I know you do, Ame. When will the two of you get here?” He asked. He felt bad for his sister, she'd already been through five heats with Kale and none of them resulted in any children and he knew that Amelia was doubting her ability to have them.

“In a week.”

“Okay, I'll send Rurik to get the two of you at the airport then.”

He sensed her hesitation before she asked, “Is that really a good idea? I mean, with Rurik wanting to mount me...” she trailed off.

“He's over it. I wouldn't send him if I didn't think so.”

“Okay, see you when I get home then. I love you.”

“I love you, too. Bye.” He hung up the phone and smiled.

“Was that your mate?” A soft voiced asked from the doorway of his study.

Darryn spun around in his chair quickly to see Lillian standing in the doorway. “Excuse me?” He asked.

“The person you just got off the phone with. Was she your mate?”

“No. My sister. She and her mate are going to stay with us for the duration of her heat.” Darryn told her as he leaned back in his chair and looked her over.

She'd only been part of their household a day and this was the first time he had seen her since he brought her to her own room and she had fallen to sleep. “They don't have a home?” She asked, seemingly confused.

“Kale and Amelia have been touring Europe for over a year and both have decided it was time for them to come home and settle down.”

“Oh.”

“What was it that you needed?” he asked as he stood up from his chair.

“I uh... I wanted to know where the keys for my car were.”

“Why?”

“I needed to get the clothes out of my trunk. The ones I wearing have blood on them and I really wanted to get cleaned up,” She babbled, her hands gesturing to her clothes.

“Oh, Adrik has them.” He stood up and went to the door, stepping around Lillian to open the door and call out for Adrik. It was only a few moments later when he was on the ground level of the house. “Do you still have Lillian's keys?”

Nodding Adrik went over to the little table by the door and pulled out the drawer. He fished around inside the drawer and pulled out her key chain, “It won't go anywhere. You broke it badly.”

“It's badly broken,” Darryn corrected before taking the keys from him and handing them to Lillian. “and she's not going anywhere. She's just getting something out.”

Lillian went past both men, making sure to not brush against either of them as she did and exited the house. She saw her car at the end of the driveway and flinched at the damage she observed. The hood of the car as folded like a paper fan and it was more than obvious if she tried to start it now it would probably explode.

Sighing, she went to the truck and popped the hatched, pulling out her travel bag she noticed a small child size sock had fallen out. Frowning she picked it up and put it into her pocket, wanting to make sure that she didn't lose it while she was unpacking.

Slamming the trunk she realized that now not even that wanted to close and she growled and just left it open as she went back to the house. The foyer was empty ash she realized that everyone went back to what they were doing and she was thankful.

Once in her room she set the sock onto the top of the dresser and dumped the contents of her bag onto the bed. None of it was folded because she had been in such a hurry to pack and wasn't thinking about keeping her clothes folded more so than to keep Travis from getting anymore angry than he was.

She wanted to cry just thinking about that day. He had yelled at her before Tanner was afraid of him, and never liked to be near him. Travis was also mad at the fact that Tanner was a slow learner, that he wasn't yet walking on his own and was just crawling. He blamed her for his underdevelopment.

Except, Lillian thought her son was perfect the way he was. It was Travis' fault that Tanner was afraid of him, Travis always yelled at her when Tanner was around and all the little boy knew was yelling on his father's side. His slow learning was natural, children developed at their own pace and it wasn't like all children walked before they were a year. Travis just expected to much to fast from the little boy.

She wanted to bring Tanner with her but she couldn't, Travis hadn't let her. He had threatened to kill him before allowing him to leave with her. Saying that the child would be better off with him since she wasn't there to coddle him.

Lillian decided that Tanner would be at least partially safe while she set up a place for them to stay before she went back to the pack house and took Tanner. Even if she had to sneak in during the night and steal him from his crib she would. She wouldn't allow her son to be raised in the hateful environment she'd been brought up in.

Sighing she went to work on folding her clothes and putting them away.