Status: Contest Entry

We Thank the Lord for Mosh Pits

1/1

Sighing, I leaned against the stage slightly. The band currently playing, one of the few local bands I’ve ever seen that completely stunk, had the worst vocals and was off beat. I struggled against the urge to walk out of the venue, knowing that since there were only twenty something people in there, it would be noticeable, and might offend the band.

So, I knew I’d have to deal with it, and suck it up for the time being. They had already done three of there songs, so they probably were half done, or close to that. They were in the middle of a breakdown—if you could call it that—and a large pit was nearby. I’m guessing it was mostly fans of this band, because all the other people seemed disinterested by them.

I wasn’t aware how close I was to the pit until it was too late; a hard blow to my side from someone’s fist, left me gasping for breathe as I clutched my stomach. I was only able to get a few gasping breathes until someone’s gentle touch straightened my back, allowing me to breath with more ease.

“Are you okay?” a deep and concerned voice asked. I turned, and saw the guy who had been the one to punch me and then to find a way to help me regain my breath. “Yeah, just a bit bruised, probably. Nothing I’m not used to, at least,” I said, only to receive a slightly confused look from the guy, who was quite adorable. Dark red hair, that fell just at his eye level in bangs, and curled up at the nape of his neck.

He wasn’t skinny, nor built, but he wasn’t fat either. Just…fluffy. “Um…I’m a bit of a klutz…and by a bit I mean hugely. I tend to fall, or trip, or bang against something a few times a day. I’m Sarah, by the way, but everyone calls me Ducky,” I said, offering my hand to shake.

“I’m Bradyn, but
you can call me Brady,” he replied, grasping my small hand in his own larger one. I felt a blush rising from my neck to my face from the intensity of his golden brown eyes on my face.

Seven years ago today I had met Brady, and within a year of meeting we started dating. That first encounter hadn’t led to anything, but a show a few weeks later where I had accidentally fallen to the ground by his feet had led to up exchanging numbers.

I was well aware of the fact there was a show tonight as well, at the same venue as the one so many years ago. Brady’s younger brother was the vocalist in the band, and it was their first show at an actual venue. We were going to go and support them.

**

“Hey Sweets,” I heard Brady call as he shut the front door behind him. “Hey,” I replied, lifting my head to give him a quick kiss before he settled next to me on the couch.

“So, you’re brother’s band is first on, right?” I asked, tucking my hair behind my ear. I got a nod of the head in return, and glanced at the clock. “Well, then we need to go now, or we’ll miss them. Come on,” I said, stretching once I got to me feet.

The car ride was short, and within twenty minutes we were waiting for Tucker’s band to go on. The wait wasn’t long, and I cheered loudly as Tucker came into view.

“Okay guys, we’re Think Big! And this first song goes out to my big bro Brady and his girlfriend Ducky. I swear, they couldn’t be any more in love.” With that, they began to play. It was an intro, and it seemed to just be the instruments.

Until, the breakdown in the middle. While the pit was starting, Tucker began to scream. “Say yes, Ducky, say yes!” He repeated them, and I turned to Brady in confusion. There on one knee he was, a silver ring with a ruby and diamond pattern in his hand. “What do you say, Ducky? Will you give me the honor of being my wife?”

The attention of the people was on us, and tears of joy were filling my eyes. “Yes!” I squealed, and he slipped it onto my finger. At that moment, I felt a arm smack me in the side.

Once my breathe returned, I laughed, and kissed Brady hard, on the lips.