Heartless

Heartless

In the night, I hear em talk

Coldest story ever told.

Somewhere far along this road, he lost his soul

To a woman so heartless.

People say that song was written for me. I don't even think Kanye West knows who I am, for crying out loud. I'm just Sam Marshall, a twenty-one year old girl who works as a trainer with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Maybe it's because I look like a model. I've got blonde hair, green eyes, and what people call an amazing body. But I'm only 5'2, so that rules out a modeling career.

Maybe it's because I play boys like a piano. Sure, I've been in almost ten relationships this past year, but I'm too nice of a girl to play a boy like that. I just can't make up my mind sometimes. So, option two is ruled out.

I've got it! They say this song is about me because I'm out for blood when I work with the boys. I tend to be a hard ass. Not just because I like to be a bitch, but because I know what I do and I expect the best out of my players. That being said, I won't stop and anything to get my boys in peak shape.

Which brings us to where we are now. Game seven of the Stanley Cup Final. Pittsburgh versus Detroit. A chance for redemption, or another shot at failure? I had trained the boys as hard as I could - pushing them to their limits. But, I didn't know if it was good enough. Detroit was a strong team. We managed the hold them off and force a game seven, so we must have done something right.

"Hey,Sam?" I heard my arch-rival call out to me.

"What do you want now, Crosby?" I asked, somewhat annoyed. It's not that I didn't like the guy - it's just that I liked him too much.

Sidney Crosby is a player! And not just the hockey variety. He plays girls more than I apparently play guys. But there was something about him that always kept my attention. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was there.

"You're sitting in the box tonight for the game."

"I'm what? The hell I am." I said, stepping up to him.

"Look. It's game seven. If you don't want to sit in the box you can stay in the locker room or in the runway, but you're not going on the bench. Captain's orders." Sidney smirked.

"Last time I checked, you're not my boss." I smiled at my slight victory.

"But I am." Ray Shero said as he walked into the training room.

"Come on Ray. You know I'm good enough to be out there."

"I know that, Samantha. But the Red Wings are out for blood tonight. I only want the most experienced trainers out on the bench. You're still gonna have your hands full down here, I can promise you that."

"Ray!" I whined.

"I'm sorry, Sam. You know I am. I just don't want something to happen out there to either one of the players or yourself. Just humor me this one game."

"Fine, you win." I frowned. Ray gave me a hug before he left to head back up to the luxury box.

"Are you happy now, Crosby?" I huffed, brushing past him and heading over to stock the cabinets.

"Why would I be happy? I haven't won the Cup yet."

"That's all that's left for you to get though. You've just succeeded in getting me off the bench for the game."

"You think I had something to do with this? You heard, Ray. It's a big game and anything could happen."

"Oh, don't play dumb Crosby. I know you had something to do with this. Now, go sit with your team. They need their Captain." I said, pushing him out of the room.

I can't believe that bastard! He actually did that. What am I going to do now? Sit her and play cards until someone gets hurt? Not likely.

I continued stocking the cabinet full of gauze and medical tape when the idea hit me. My cousin plays for Detroit. Maybe I could convince him to help me out.

I made my way out the back door of the trainer's room and into the passage way to the Red Wings dressing room. Cautiously knocking the door, I hoped to not get caught by one of the Penguins as I was standing outside of the enemy's locker room.

"Samantha. What brings you here?" Tomas Holmstrom asked as he slid the door open.

"I'm here to see Johan. It's pretty important."

Tomas turned and yelled for my cousin to meet me at the door.

"Hey, Sam. What's up?" My cousin, Johan Franzen asked.

"I need you to do me a favor."

"And what would that be? If it's purposely loose the game I can't do it."

"No, it's not that. Crosby went and got me kicked off the bench for tonight's game. Can you do something to him in return?" I asked, instantly feeling bad when I did.

He thought for a second. "Sure, I'll see what I can do."

He hugged me and I whispered good luck in his ear before turning and walking back into the trainer's room.

What the hell did you just do, Sam?I asked myself as I made myself busy once again.

--Second Period--

The game was off to a great start. The boys were already up 2-0 and were able to hold off the Wings on every shot they had. Fleury and the boys were playing amazing. I knew that my work would pay off someday.

I went back to filling out inventory forms when I heard a voice boom through the runway.

"Get ready Sam! This one's coming for you. We've got a jammed knee."

I stood up and waited for them to bring the player back. I couldn't help but think who it was. Fleury? Talbot? Kennedy? I couldn't believe who it was when I opened the door.

"Sidney? What the hell happened?" I asked as they carried him over to the table and laid him on it.

"Bad check. Franzen caught my knee with his hip." Sidney said through gritted teeth.

"This one's all yours Sam. I'll come back and check in a few minutes. The period's almost over anyway." Daniel, one of the head trainers, said as he left the room.

I grabbed some ice packs and went over to pull Sidney's shin-pads, socks, and skates off. As soon as I got a look at his knee, I immediately regretted asking Johan to do what he did.

"Well, is it broken?" Sidney asked, voice breaking from the pain and fear of not being able to play.

"No, it's not broken. It's too swollen to do anything to it right now - even xray it. We've just got to get the swelling down and play it safe before we make any decisions." I said, laying a pack of ice on his knee.

We sat in silence and waited for the senior trainers to come and re-evaluate him.

"Sam?" Sidney asked.

"Yeah, Sidney?"

"I'm sorry for what I said earlier. It was none of my business to get involved with you not being on the bench during the game."

"So you admit you stuck your nose into that business." I smiled

"Yes, I admit it. I'm sorry."

"Well, I accept your apology."

I turned and went to the cabinet to get Sidney something to ease the pain. As I poured a glass of water for him and myself, Sidney started talking again.

"Sam?"

"What is it now, Sidney?" I asked, handing him the pills and the water.

"I wanted to tell you something. No one knows about it."

"What? You're finally gonna come out of the closet? And to me? Aww, I'm touched."

"No. I'm not gay. I really like you."

"Like me?" I asked, stunned.

"Yeah. I really like you. Hell, I think I'm in love with you."

I spit out all of the water that I held in my mouth. He was in love with me?

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes, I'm sure. But I know that you don't have the same feelings towards me that I have of you."

"Well, you're not going to have those feeling for me any longer." I whispered.

"Sam, what the hell are you talking about?" He asked, sitting up on the table.

"I asked Johan to hurt you as a way of me getting back at you for what you did earlier. But, you never really did anything. I'm so sorry, Sid."

I put my head down and waited for the backlash. When I didn't hear him yelling, I looked up and saw Sidney smirking and laughing at me.

"What? You're not mad?" I asked, walking over towards him.

"Oh, I'm mad. But this made me realize something."

"What's that?"

"You really are a heartless bitch, aren't you!" Sidney smiled.

"Yeah, I guess I am. What are you gonna do about it." I asked.

Sidney pulled me closer to him and our lips met. "That."

I leaned in and kissed him again. His lips were so soft and full. He was such a good kisser. "I like it."

"I love you." He said.

"I'm not ready to say love you. But, I like you too." I smiled and we kissed again.

I might be heartless - but someone loves me!