Solitary Style

Sandra

Three years and I still didn't have the courage to approach her. The delicate beauty that sat by the river, watching, waiting. Not sure what she was waiting for exactly she had the look on her face. Filled with sadness, loneliness. I wanted to hold her and comfort her; I wanted to know everything about this strange woman. Her long golden hair was put together in a braid that draped over her right shoulder. She wore a simply blue dress that accented her curves wonderfully, and as usual she wasn't wearing any shoes. She dipped her feet into the river and then did something that I never thought would happen. She turned her head and looked directly at me.

"Would you like to join me?" I didn't know what to say, it was like my entire vocabulary had vanished from my mind. I knew something was coming from my lips but I highly doubt it was English.

"S-S-Sure." I slowly made my way to her, my face hot with the embarrassment of being caught staring at her, slightly stumbling on my way over to her. Seeing her up close she was even more beautiful than seeing her from the distance I was so used to.

"M-May I sit?" I asked her as she looked up at me and smiled.

"Of course. You know I had always wondered when you would come down and speak to me. Three years and you never did." My eyes widened. I didn't know what to say. She knew all along?

"I'm so sorry. I wasn't stalking you or anything!" I tried to defend myself only to have her laughing at me. Her voice was so sweet, it completely calmed me. The power a woman could gain over a man is quite frightening.

"I know. You're name is Daniel. You work at the small arts and crafts store not too far from here. Right?" I nodded my head and wondered if maybe she were the one who had been doing the stalking.

"Are you following me?" She laughed again and shook her head.

"No, I happened to walk in there one day." I hadn’t even realized that our paths have crossed before. She smiled at me and then looked back out at the river. I wondered why she was here in such a secluded place.

"If you don't mind my asking-"

"Why am I always here?" She finished for me. She didn't even look at me but instead out towards the setting sun.

"I enjoy being alone. The world can be such a big and scary place, this is the only place I can really be alone. Well, aside from you." She joked, making me chuckle. She was just like I imagined, smart, funny, sweet. What was her name?

"Since you know my name, can I know yours?" She smiled and seemed to be thinking about it.

"Sandra." Sandra, I finally know the name of the beauty I have been admiring for the past three years.

I couldn't believe that I was sitting here actually talking to her. Exchanging words and laughs, breathing the same air-- okay, I'm acting like she's a celebrity, what the hell is wrong with me?

"I should be getting to work." I said as I slowly began to stand. She looked up at me and nodded her head, giving me a gentle smile.

"Okay."

"Will I see you again?" She chuckled and let out a small sigh. "And interrupt my solitary life again?"

I was about to apologize like a babbling fool until she smiled at me.

"I think so." I smiled glad that she wanted to see me again.

"Good, 'cause I'd like to learn more about you." She laughed and winked at me and then turned back to face the river. I walked back to the road and then glanced back to the girl I now know as Sandra. The girl I admired and had longed to know for the past three years. I was glad she was going to allow me into her solitary world of just staring at the river longingly.

When I looked back she didn't seem like she was waiting anymore she looked calm and content; could it be that she had been... waiting for me?

Nah, now I'm just kidding myself!