Status: Inactive. I hope to continue writing this someday but right now, mostly left as comparison between my writing now and back then

Burning Out Bright

We were too crazy...in love

Natalia feels nervous, irritable and worried.

But most of all, she feels lousy.

How is she going to solve this stupid mess she made now? Not only is it ridiculous to keep up with the pretense that she is dating Shaun because she likes him (which he enjoys, not only because it was sweet revenge for the humiliation he’d suffered on their lousy date but also because an unavailable senior somehow just attracted all the underclassmen) but also because she feels too certain about today’s date.

She had a feeling in the pit of her stomach that this date could not go well. There were too many variables in this equation that could go either way, especially Peyton Sutherland.

It is impossible to hate that girl. Peyton was just too sincere and oblivious to mean any harm but still, the more time Natalia spends thinking about her with him and the more her dislike for the tomboy grows, even though she knows that it isn’t fair of her to think so.
But what can she do now to change anything?

“You’re kind of stomping around like a crazed elephant. It’s loud and a little distracting.” Nicholas had, apparently, entered without her noticing. He’d started taking to jumping at her when she opens doors lately because he was training to be a ninja, or so he said. Nicholas could say the strangest things sometimes.

Curling her lower lip at Nicholas, she says, “You shouldn’t enter people’s rooms without an invitation. Were you raised in a cave?”

“No, just a crazy house.” He shoots her a mocking smile. “Is that asshole coming today?”

Rolling her eyes, Natalia heads for her wardrobe and searches for an outfit that will work for a date where she isn’t interested in her date but is interested in her best friend, who also happens to be someone else’s boyfriend. She doubts that she’ll find anything wearable.

“I’m still waiting," sings Nicholas, doing his best to annoy his sister.

“Yes, Shaun is coming by today. But no, you can’t speak to him.”

There is a beat where the words sink into his head. “Damn. You’re good.”

Although Nicholas was younger, he sometimes acted like a stereotypical older brother. He had managed to scare some Natalia’s more fervent dates off just by causally mentioning that the Greenes had a rifle upstairs that he was very accustomed to. And that he would put a hole through their heads faster than they could protest if he ever heard anything unpleasant about them.

Natalia hadn’t known this until Shaun had muttered something about it when she asked him to put on the charade with her. It was funny, of course, but she warned him never to do it again. “Sure. Now please go away and find one of your little friends and stop distracting me.”
He sits on her bed instead. “You are so wound up.”

Gritting her teeth, she throws a scarf at him. “Get. Out.”

“It’ll be my pleasure. Now, if you can just pass me that wishing box, I’ll just be on my way, sis.”

Over the years, Nicholas never stopped thinking that there was some deeply embarrassing information inside the box. So, he never stopped trying to get to it. Sometimes when Natalia was in a good mood, she could put up with it. But now, she is beyond caring about anything aside from the fact that she needed to get dressed. “You can either leave now or...or I’d throw my underwear at your head.”

“Man, you are so worried about your dumb date.”

Natalia glares at him until he leaves the room and slams the door after him. Sinking into her bed, she wonders why the feeling in the pit of her stomach-the feeling of dread-has become more pronounced.
***
Shaun abandons Natalia with Peyton and Adam, giving her a quick peck (thankfully, on her cheek) and a murmured excuse of ‘having to search for something edible’ (since fast food was apparently too common for the likes for Shaun Sullivan).

She had obviously been upset but tried to hide the fact that the only buffer between her and the couple she wanted to avoid had abandoned her. Smiling tightly, she watches Shaun go and takes a big gulp of Coke.

Adam eyes the way she tries to hide the obvious disappointment she feels with some caution. Is she upset that Shaun is leaving or is it because of something else? Does it matter, when Peyton is seated next to him?

Surprised by this train of thought, he blinks confusedly at the conversation that Peyton had started with Natalia over the random people they knew. What is he thinking? Of course it’s okay to be concerned over Natalia because they are friends and he’s pretty sure that friends kept track of friends’ relationships...

“Something on your mind?” asks Peyton, her blue eyes-so different from Natalia’s green-concerned.

For some reason, he had expected the question to come from Natalia. Forcing a calm expression, he replies, “Nope, nothing. You guys seem to getting along pretty well.”

Peyton beams and he hides a grimace. She had been so worried of what Natalia (being his best friend) would think of her that he hadn’t told her that she didn’t need to worry about Natalia, she should watch out for him instead. He had been too engrossed in her confession and too cautious about not hurting her feelings that he had somehow ended up with a girl he didn’t like. It isn’t to say that he dislikes her as a friend, but it is a problem when all he feels for her is platonic friendship.
***
Weeks pass and things change.

Natalia breaks up with Shaun, having had enough of him. Perhaps, she tells everyone she knows, it would be nice to be single again.

What she doesn’t tell them is how she’s starting to feel slightly lonely by herself, because Adam is always with Peyton Sutherland.
***
“I know.”

Adam looks up and eyes Peyton. “You do?”

“You want to break up.” She manages the words with a smile. But it is a strange one, because it doesn’t reach her eyes. “And it’s okay.”

“Peyton, I’m-”

She blinks hard. “Don’t say anything else, okay? I know enough to know what you’re going to say. And please, don’t apologise.”

Adam doesn’t know what to say to this. He is immensely grateful towards her for releasing him from their relationship but has no idea how to repay her understanding. It has to hurt to know that he had never liked her the way she wanted him to, because he already liked Natalia.

God, he wanted to kill Levi for being such a perceptive smartass and telling Peyton that their relationship was not working out, because Adam liked someone else. But then, if Levi hadn’t done it...wouldn’t Adam have to break the news to Peyton personally?
“Go tell her,” murmurs Peyton.

He doesn’t move an inch. Despite her outward appearance, he doesn’t completely trust that Peyton is okay, especially because he still feels a sense of responsibility of leading her on for the past few weeks. He hadn’t known how to tell her...

“Please, go find her.” Her face reddens and she turns away from him.

Adam takes a step away and turns back, finding that she is staring at him. She smiles that strange smile again. He doesn’t know if this is the right thing to do but he faces forward again, taking giant steps and finally sprinting away from Peyton.
***
Natalia is still on the edge of the campus when Adam finds her. Catching a quick breath, he shouts, “Natalia!”

She spots him and waits for him to reach her before asking, “What’s up? You look abnormally cheerful.”

“I broke up with Peyton.” His voice is louder than he expects it to be and he can’t stop a smile from developing on his face. Out of the corner of his eye, he spots Jared Downer’s (a well known enemy of Peyton’s, whom Adam suspected liked her more that he was comfortable with) jaw drop.

“Are you...okay?” Her eyes scan him for evidence of sadness but all she can find is Adam smiling manically at her. Adam didn't usually behave like this.

Adam nods. “Yeah, I am. I just realised something important today.”

“Oh. Want to share?” Natalia feels the oddest sensation of knowing what is going to happen but not being sure why.

Instead of replying her, he kisses her on the lips.
***
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be great. :)