Little Things

that you do

The sun cast a yellow glow across your profile, with the sleepy eyes and bright smile as I watched you fall asleep from the warmth seeping through the window. I let my own eyes fall closed as I held you tighter and breathed the moment into dreams.

My eyes opened again as darkness finally reappeared, and I stretched to find you beside me. The cool empty space shocked me awake, my once bleary and sleep-ridden eyes wide awake and searching for your form. The small folded paper in your place brushed against my fingertips, making a sound unfamiliar, not like your skin. I strained to make the words appear in the dark, keeping the silence still around me, hoping it would make you come back again, as you always would. You always came and went in the quietest moments.

The glowing words burned themselves onto my heart; Dear Love, I miss you.
Hope you know I won’t forget you even if we’re worlds away I’ll always be your girl and I will stay.
All my love is for you.
I won’t forget the little things you do.


I put the words aside, running in the dark to find her, you, throwing on clothes and tripping through the door, chasing your invisible form through the quiet streets basking in the sunset’s colours. I watched as the sun slowly fell behind me, I felt the grip you had on my lungs keep me going after you. Your figure walked slowly on a sidewalk, head low and tired.

Your eyes were wide as you turned around, taking in my running form, eyes wide with shock and regret and sorrow. I wrapped you in my arms and the suitcase fell from your weak grip.
You pushed me away after running a hand through my hair, burying your face in my chest, keeping your own arms tight around my waist. You started walking away again, feet quiet on the sidewalk. You started to walk away from me.

Your wrists were small in my hands as I stopped you again. You told me you were leaving. You told me you were never coming back.

“I’m going away, don’t follow me this time.” I shook my head, eyes weary watching yours hold back tears.

“Remember when we stayed up, watched the sunrise as it came up painting all the brilliant skies? I had everything with you right by my side.” I grabbed you in my arms again, keeping you still and with me. “I’ll miss you.”

You slipped from my arms, shaking your head, closing your eyes, turning around and walking away again. I stopped myself from following you. I stopped my heart from flying after you.
I watched you walk away into the sunset.

We had it all. We were the greatest lovers. I won’t be away from you.
I’ll watch you walk away a thousand times.

I won’t forget the little things you do.