The Dysfunctional Family

III

Jamie’s eyes widened and Alex’s hand covered her mouth to keep herself from screaming.

“What are you doing here?” The girl asked folding her arms over her chest.

“We…wanted to see if you guys really moved in here,” Alex said quietly. She was trying her hardest not to stare at the black wings on the girls back.

“Y-you have wings,” Jamie said as he pointed at the girl.

Alex groaned and smacked her forehead with her palm. Leave it to Jamie to be the idiot.

To the twins’ surprise, the girl laughed. “Yes. Yes I do. I’m a fairy,” she said with a small smile.

“A-a fairy?” Jamie said staring at the girl with wide eyes.

She nodded and smiled. “My name is Rose. I know your names already since I heard you yelling at each other.”

The twins blushed and looked at the floor. Alex frowned before looking up. “So why did you move in at 3am?”

“Well, for starters my cousin Isa is a vampire,” Rose said nonchalantly. She grinned as a look of almost horror crossed Jamie’s face. “If we’d moved her during the day…. let’s just say it wouldn’t turn out so nice for her.”

“Are you the only one who isn’t a vampire?” Alex asked.

Rose shook her head and smiled. “My mother is a werewolf and so is my father. My brother is…well we’re trying to figure that out still.”

“Wow. That’s amazing,” Jamie said with a smile. He looked like a boy with a middle school crush. It kind of made Alex sick.

“Get real Jamie,” She whispered in her brothers ear. She turned to Rose. “Can we meet your family?” She asked nervously.

Rose smiled and nodded. “It’s mostly my mother and my brother right now. Dad’s out at work till late and Isa..is being anti-social.”

Rose lead Jamie and Alex upstairs with a smile. “Mom! We have some guests,” She said with a smile.

Rose’s mother turned to face Jamie and Alex with a smile. She was tall and had long brown hair and deep dark brown eyes. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Elaine.”

“I’m Alex and this is my brother Jamie,” Alex said with a smile. These people seemed so nice and so..normal.

“Well welcome to our home. I’m sure you’ve heard your fair share of rumors about us but I can assure you we’re nothing like that.”

“I can see that already,” Alex said with a smile. The bustle of creatures running around the house ranged from pixies and fairies like Rose to her vampire cousin and her werewolf parents. Alex smiled as Jamie talked easily with an ogre about football or some sport. She smiled. Perhaps they could all get along in their happy town of Boring Central.