Sequel: The Sight

Amanah

Amah's mother has gone, abandoning her as a child and consequentially turning her into a watchful and heartless being, wondering at the actions of humanity. Amah sees everything through a haze of confusion and without the practice of emotion. She fills her days with watching. Now removed from the village society, she lives in the trees and so clues in to a murder before the village knows.

Her cousin, Athar, has killed a man. Following him, she finds that it was the same man she had talked with. Now, Amah must question how human she must be: whether to take revenge and irrevocably damage her cousin's world, or to fall back and watch time wheel on, the dead body of an acquaintance lying still, in the restless cavern of her cousin's.

Amah finds that two sides are always present, and refuses to give up both worlds. Human, she chooses to give her cousin forgiveness, and bears no ill against him having killed a man. Unhuman, she wonders at the ways that Athar had communicated with the one whose life had ended: with murder.

Except that suddenly, in an earth-shattering realization, Amah has been forced to choose between which side to be, which to take: whether to eliminate the last growing trace of her humanity, brought into being by her cousin, or whether to embrace the child of hate and love and confusion.

The Story's Soundtrack
  1. Prelude
    A few poems or words before the main story
  2. Endless
    This chapter is basically giving the setting for the rest. Makes a feeling of, really, time. Lots of time.
  3. Straying
    She gets time to think.
  4. A different kind of blind
    Okay, she's officially not human. Or something. Makes life interesting.
  5. Athar
    Now we get interesting.
  6. Blood
    ...
  7. Ah
    Her cousin, Athar, has killed a man. Following him, she finds that it was the same man she had talked with. Now, Amah must question how human she must be: whether to take revenge and irrevocably damage her cousin's world, or to fall back and watch.
  8. Light
    Amah finds that two sides are always present, and refuses to give up both worlds. Human, she chooses to give her cousin forgiveness, and bears no ill against him having killed a man. Unhuman, she wonders at the ways that Athar had communicated with m
  9. Wrong
  10. Fearsong, deathsong
    The meaning of the story suddenly turns as Amah realizes the why of her pain and something worse.
  11. A step suddenly seems a world
  12. Watchers watch the watcher
    Hurling two more creatures into the confusion--but they have a head start, already knowing what has happened to our heroine and having strange connections to the past.