Status: I have no idea where this is going at the moment, but Im working on it. Please comment.

My Guardian Angel

The Way Things Work

“You’re kidding.” Katie said.
Kurt raised an eyebrow and looked at her. “How the hell else would I be here?”
Katie had no answer for that. “Alright, how can you be my guardian angel? I was 3 when you died. Don’t you get an angel when your born?”
“You get one when you’re born yeah, but it changes. You get one for your childhood, then you get assigned a new one in pre-teen stage, and then you get another one in your mid-teens that you keep until you hit middle-age which is about 40 for you.” He explained.
“My mid-life is 40? That means I’m going to die at 80?” she asked.
“Yeah, around then. Unless you fuck it up. See, you’re in a group called Varies. You’re mid-life is varying every time you think about killing yourself. About 5 minutes ago, you had passed your mid-life at the age of 9. Now, the average person has 4 guardian angels, Varies on the other hand, have 3 because they never get assigned someone at their mid-life since their mid-life changes every 5 fucking minutes.” Kurt explained.
“But say I do life ’till 40.” Katie said.
“Then you will have 4. But most Varies don’t make it through their depression and kill themselves.” He said.
“Is that why you’re here?” Katie asked.
“Yeah.” he said.

Katie stopped talking and Kurt turned away from her again, finding the ceiling interesting again. “You’re ceiling is plain.”

Katie didn’t answer, she was thinking and taking in all of what Kurt just explained.

“Can I ask you something?” Katie said suddenly.
“It’s about time you said something.” He said.
“Why are you MY guardian angel?” she asked.
He knew what she meant. Why would he be here with a stranger instead of being with his own daughter? “I don’t get to chose." he sighed, "I was assigned.”
“Why can’t you chose?” she asked.
“Because I already made one choice.” he said.
“What?” Katie asked confused.
“If you die, you do get to chose who you want to be the angel for and for what stage in their life. For example, your grandpa became your grandma’s guardian angel when she hit her mid-life.” He paused and sighed. “He got to choose because he died not by his choice, but by the way fate chose. Me on the other hand…I chose to die. Those who choose to die don’t get to chose things in the afterlife, it’s our punishment, we do what we’re told.”
“Oh…so does my grandpa hang around my grandma’s house?” Katie asked.
“Yeah, he talked to you once. You were really little."
Katie was shocked.
"Yeah, that was him you saw a few Christmas’s ago. That blue orb.” He stated.
“He really did talk to me? Didn’t he want to see my mom? Why didn’t he wait for me to get her?” Katie asked a little frantically.
“He couldn’t. Your mom would have remembered. The rule is this: You can only appear to the person you’re guarding, OR someone who won’t remember. You were too young to remember, so you could see him.” Kurt said.
“But then why did he ask to see my mom?” Katie asked. “Didn’t he know the rule?”
“He did, but he wanted to try anyway.” Kurt said.
“Oh.” Katie said. “I wish I could have him appear again.”
“A lot of people wish things like that, unfortunately, you’re too old now. He likes when you go in the basement and sing though.” Kurt said.

Katie smiled and started crying a little.

“Here, you’re tired. Take a nap.” Kurt said and moved off the bed.

Katie was too wrapped up in her thoughts to notice that she had gotten up and walked over to her bed where she fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
-UPDATED: 3/16/10: I just re-read this chapter (to see where I had left off) and found some horrible typo's and grammatical errors. There's probably a lot more that I missed though. Sorry about that. I also went back and attempted to clean up a part that sounded jumbled. :)