Status: Rewriting

When Worlds Collide

Never Cross a Vampire

Jasmine

Today was not a good day. I rubbed my temples in agony. A telepath working with the mentally ill was a very bad idea. I took a deep breath and walked out of the bathroom at the hospital, I needed fresh air. The voices were overwhelming. I tried to focus on my breathing like aunt Victoria taught me, I felt like I was going to faint. I began to get tunnel vision as I hurried out the door and right into Edward Cullen.

“Oh God, I’m so sorry!” I whispered trying to focus on his face.

“It’s alright. Are you ok? You look a little pale.” Edward said studying my face.

I nodded, “Yeah, Yeah I’m ok. I just need some air.”

Edward took me by my elbow and guided me outside into the moist Washington air.

“Here sit down.” Edward said leading me to the bench.

The cool air felt wonderful on my face. It was much quieter out here.

“Are you alright?”

Again I nodded, “Yeah I’m ok. It was just a little overwhelming in there.”

He only nodded, if only he knew.

Edward

“Are you alright?” I asked Jasmine again as we sat on the nearest bench.

She nodded, “Yeah, I’m okay. It was just a little overwhelming in there.”

I nodded, knowing exactly what she meant. Hospitals weren’t always the friendliest places for
telepaths.

She closed her eyes taking deep breaths in and out.

“Feeling better?”

She gave a small smile, “Yeah thanks, but I should get back to work. My break is over.”

I didn’t want her to leave. I needed to learn more about her.

“Why don’t I take you out to lunch? I’ll have my dad call Dr. Karim. It will help you feel better.” I said quickly hoping she’d agree before I realized what I had done.

She bit her lip and seemed deep in thought.

“Yeah, that sounds great.” She finally said. I smiled and led her to my car. She let out a low
whistle.

“Nice car.”

“Thanks. Do you know a lot about cars?”

She gave a pleasant laugh, “I like to think so. My dad was a mechanic and I completely rebuilt my ’67 Impala.”

My God I love this girl!

It was my turn to whistle, “Very nice my sister knows a lot about cars as well, what color?”

“Black of course, with mint condition original interior, I managed to find perfect original parts to rebuild the engine. The whole thing took me from the time I was sixteen till last year to complete.” She said pride evident in her voice.

“How old are you?” I asked curiously. She didn’t look much older than I did, which didn’t mean much.

“Twenty three, you?”

“Really? You look a lot younger.” I said surprised.

She laughed, “Yeah I get that a lot. You didn’t answer my question.”

I gave a wry smile, “I’m Seventeen.”

I noticed a quick flicker of disappointment cross her face.

“Oh.”

Jasmine

“Oh.” I said flatly.

Why did they always have to be jail bait? Why why why?!?!? Inwardly I sighed, well good company never sent anyone to jail.

“May I?” I asked motioning to his CD case. I hated it when people fucked with my music without asking. I smiled when I saw exactly what I was in the mood for. The Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collies disk set.

Our hands brushed as we both reached to take the CD out of the player. I suppressed a gasp at the coldness of his hand. I knew he was a vamp!...So…technically he’s probably not seventeen, my inner demon child squealed.

He adverted his gaze from me.

Should I tell him I knew?

Instead, I turned up the CD as 1979 came through the speakers.

At the restaurant Edward opened the door and pulled out my chair. He was definitely not from this time. I decided to test him when he didn’t order anything.

“You’re not going to get anything?”

“I ate before I came.”

I smiled, “So why the offer to take me out to lunch?” I didn’t expect his answer.

“I want to know more about you.” He said honestly.
My eyes grew wide in surprise.

“Oh.” Was all I could say.

At the end of my meal we both reached for the check. As our hands brushed I felt that distinct pull on my brain.

I stared at Edward and I sitting on an overcast beach talking. I don’t think I had ever seen myself looking so happy. I took a deep breath and I was back at the restaurant, Edward staring at me with an unreadable expression. I felt my face flush with embarrassment.

How the hell could I explain this?

He pulled the check from my hands and threw two twenties on the tray without taking his eyes off me. I knew he was going to say something. We were both silent on the way to the car. For a few minutes once inside the car we stared forward out the windshield.

Finally, “Are you psychic?” He asked turning to me.

Thrown off by his straight forward question I blurted out, “Are you a vampire?”

His face darkened; his lips pressed into a thin line, he began to drive off at an alarming speed away from the hospital.

“Where are we going?” I asked calmly.

“We need to talk with my family.” He said curtly.

I sighed and stared out at the passing greenery as Washington began pouring down on us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like!