Status: teenage pregnancy

Blooming

Blooming Chapter 19

“The Board and I have come to a decision.” Mrs. Collins, the school principle said.
“And?” Karen asked. We were sitting in the Mrs. Collins’ office due to the fact that I had punched the captain of the school’s precious cheerleading squad. I’d called Aunt Karen knowing that she would be calmer than my parents.
“Savannah, you’re suspended for two days.” In any other situation, I would have been upset. I would’ve felt obligated to apologize. Then again, in any other situation, I wouldn’t have been brave enough to do what I did.
And, the truth is, I was proud of me. For the first time in my life, I’d stood up for what I believed in, for what mattered most to me. This was something I could tell the tiny person living inside me when he or she was old enough. That is, if I kept it.
Still, I hadn’t decided. I went over it and over it in my mind each night before I fell asleep but, still, I couldn’t choose whether adoption would be the best choice for the baby and Darren was in the same boat as well.
“You may go now,” my principle said, waking me up from my reverie.
Together, Karen and I got up and started walking towards the door. But just before we opened it, Mrs. Collins spoke.
“Savannah?”
I turned to her and watched as her eyes went from mine, to my stomach in a matter of only three seconds. For what seemed like ages, she stared and stared, making my face red with guilt and embarrassment. She’d heard the rumors, no doubt. Why else did she think I’d punch Carla?
“Don’t let it happen again.” she insisted. And with that, we were out the door.
“So,” Karen started awkwardly as soon as we were in her car. She said she wanted to talk about what had happened with Carla and since we couldn’t talk about it at home, the high school parking lot is where our little meeting was held.
“So,” I echoed.
“You know what you did was wrong,” she said blandly.
I nodded.
“Yes,”
“And that you can’t just go around hitting people,”
Again, I nodded.
“Yep,”
We didn’t make eye contact.
“And that I have to tell your parents when we get home,”
This time, I sighed.
“Yes,” I whined.
“And that I think what you did was really brave and I’m really proud of you,” she said, her tone the same.
“Ye--” I moaned, then stopped and looked up at my aunt to see that she was smiling. Soon, she pulled me into a quick embrace.
“What you did was so brave!” she squealed. I laughed at how absurd the whole thing was and hugged her back.
Just then, the sight of Mrs. Collins came into view of the windshield. She silently walked by until she saw Karen and me. Immediately, Karen released me and put on a stern face.
“And totally wrong, young lady.” she said. Quickly, I put on a pouting face, crossed my arms, and nodded.
Together, we looked up to see that Mrs. Collins had started to walk away.
Karen and I laughed hysterically for what seemed like hours before going home to face reality.
* * * *
“So your parents aren’t even grounding you?” Riley asked. We were sitting on the swing set in my backyard, the same swing set we sat on with him when we were kids. The same one where my child could sit....
“Nope.” I stated simply.
“Wow, my parent’s would have a cow,” he said.
“They know what I’m going through.” I pointed out.
There was silence for a moment and a strong breeze fell over us. The February air was cold, but calming in a sense. It made goose bumps gradually appear on my arms and my wavy auburn hair fall against my cheeks.
I sighed.
“Riley,” I said, turning to him. “What are we going to do?”
He could tell by the tone in my voice that I was serious and wanted the truth this time, instead of reassurance. He looked at me for a moment as a quick wind rush passed us again. I shivered and turned my attention to the stars overhead, silently wishing I were one of them.
He took a moment before answering.
“I don’t know, Sav. I just don’t know.” he said sincerely, taking my hand. “For now, let’s just....live,”
With that, he got up and walked behind me. Gently, he started pushing the swing I was on. Back and forth, I swayed, almost not moving at all.
I giggled, thinking back to our childhood.
“Like we’re five?” I laughed, tossing my head back and gazing at the stars once more.
“Yes,” Riley insisted, now laughing with me. “Like we’re five.”
Together, we reminisced on old times for while, speaking only of what was. We chuckled some more and enjoyed acting as though we were in grade school again, finding freedom and comfort in all that we were.
“Riley,” I said, my voice serious again. Still, he was pushing me lightly on the swing.
“Hmmmm?” he hummed.
“Did you ever think we’d be having a baby at sixteen?” I asked, tears forming in my eyes though this time I tried to hide them.
“Well, it’s not really something you think about when you’re still in elementary school....” he lightly joked.
A short-lived laugh escaped from my lips.
“I’m serious,” It almost sounded like a whisper.
“No,” he said, catching me in his arms as I swung back. He looked down at me with his bright blue eyes, the ones that got me every time. His hair blew in the wind and just the sight of him made my head spin. “But I always knew that whatever happened, it could never be that bad as long as you were there.”
He smiled down at me and pressed his lips to mine slowly, gentle.
“Savannah! It’s getting late!” my mother called from inside the house. With that, we both sighed in unison.
“Tomorrow?” I asked him simply.
He nodded, kissing my forehead.
“Tomorrow.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?