Status: teenage pregnancy

Blooming

Blooming Chapter 33

I sighed and quickly wiped away my tears when I saw Darren walking out of the gym and to his Jeep.
He opened the driver’s side door and sat down but took a moment before turning to look at me.
“Hey,” he said.
I sniffed.
“Hi,”
We sat in utter silence for what seemed like forever. I couldn’t get my mind off of what Carla’s mother had said to Darren.
‘You had your whole life ahead of you....All these friends. The perfect girlfriend....’
If only we’d been more careful. If only we’d used protection. Then, maybe, we wouldn’t be in this situation. Darren would still have his basketball career. He’d still have all his friends. He’d still have the perfect life.
But I wouldn’t have him.
“I’m sorry, Sav,” he said finally, looking over at me with sparkling eyes. “I didn’t know....”
“Do you regret it?” I asked out of left field.
He furrowed his brow.
“Regret what?”
“Being with me?” I said quickly. “Proposing even after I chose Riley, dumping Carla, spending all your time working so we can afford everything?” I whispered the last part and could feel my face fall even more than it had already. “Getting pregnant?”
Although it took him a moment before answering he never took his eyes off of mine.
“Is that what you think, Savannah? That I don’t want to be with you? That I regret choosing you and our son over some bitch and playing basketball?”
“I don’t know,” I said just barely loud enough for him to hear.
“Well I don’t. And I NEVER will. I love you and this baby and I’m ready to spend my life with the two of you. You are my first and only priority.”
I looked up at him slowly and smiled slightly.
“Promise?” I asked.
“Promise.” he answered. “Now, let’s get out of here.”
He put the key in the ignition.
“Wait!” I shouted, grabbing his arm.
“What?”
I softened.
“Did you really mean what you said about Carla being just some bitch?”
He simply rolled his eyes with a smile, placed his arm around my shoulders, and started up the car.
* * * *
The next day was hectic. Not only was it Darren’s birthday, but he was also graduating.
Riley, Lucy, and I were helping him get ready.
“My cap! Has anyone seen my cap?!” Darren shouted from down the hall. He was a walking through the house frantically looking around for every possible item he thought he might need. It was easy to tell that he was nervous.
“What am I supposed to do without my--”
I stopped him in mid sentence, grabbing him by the arms.
“Check the top of your head, dummy,” I said, standing on my tip toes and retrieving it.
He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.
“Right,” he said. “I’m sorry I’m just so nervous. I mean, I graduate today. Tomorrow we’re moving into our new house. In just a little over a month you’ll be having our baby....”
“You graduate today.” I said, gripping his shoulders. “You turn eighteen today. Period. Let’s just get through today before we worry about anything else.”
He took a deep breath and wrapped his arms around my waste, holding me so that my head lay on his chest.
“You’re right. We just have to get through today.”
Just then, Riley joined us in the hall.
“Uh, not to rush things along, but we have to be at the auditorium in ten minutes.”
Darren let out short yelp before picking me up in his arms and rushing us out of the house and into his car.

“Darren Tyler Montgomery,” said Mrs. Collins into the microphone. I watched as Darren approached the stage and received his diploma. As soon as he did, Lucy, Riley, and I were all on our feet cheering for him, receiving dirty looks from Carla and her mother which, in turn, made the three of us cheer louder.
Seeing her made my mind reach back to almost eight months ago when she was me. When she was the girl Darren wanted by his side, when she was the one who was supposed to be standing where I was, cheering him on. I had pictured this day many times when he and Carla were still together.
Then, I hadn’t pictured it so wonderful.
Darren smiled out to the crowd and put his fists up in the air, the sleeves of his red robe falling down past his elbows and revealing his biceps.
“Congratulations, Darren,” Mrs. Collins’ voice boomed throughout the whole gym.
Seeing the father of my son, my best friend, up there on stage with his diploma dressed in a satin red robe and cap, made me realize how proud of him I was.
And how proud of us I was.
Although most soon-to-be-mothers don’t watch their significant other graduating from high school with their child on the way, I knew that this was special.
Staring up at him, I noticed the reflection of the gym lights in his eyes. They sparkled, it seemed, when they scanned the crowd before meeting mine.
Almost eight months ago, we made a decision that would change our lives forever. It may not have been a good decision but I was beginning to realize that life isn’t about the number of mistakes you make. It’s about learning from them. And every now and then, if you’re lucky, you can make them into something beautiful.
I placed my hand on my stomach and smiled.
I am sixteen years old. I’m not done making mistakes. But I will continue in learning from the mistakes that I make because the truth is, nobody is perfect, and I am still blooming.
Just then, as Darren was walking off the stage, I felt a slight kick in my stomach.
I wondered silently to myself, what that glorious day in the hospital would be like. When would it be? Would our son be okay? Would I be okay? Would something go terribly wrong in the delivery room?
All I could seem to see when I pictured that day in my mind were dozens of nurses and doctors surrounding me in a crowded rush.
Although I was scared, it felt so far off into the future, like it would almost never happen. It seemed impossible to me that I would become a mother in such a short time.
But it wasn’t impossible. And, eventually, that day came.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long, again I don't get the computer that much. One more chapter left! Tune in!