Status: teenage pregnancy

Blooming

Blooming Chapter 35 The End

I’m not really sure what I had pictured the day I gave birth to my son to be. In my head, I saw Dr. Carlton and some nurses all huddled around my bed, Darren at my side in support. My family would be anxiously waiting just outside the door and when Darren finally went out to tell them everything was good, we’d all live happily ever after.
In many ways, that day was just as I had imagined it.
After Dr. Carlton and Karen had sealed their ‘I dos’ with a kiss, Darren immediately walked over and told him that it was time.
“If you’d all excuse my wife and me,” he said to the guests before turning to me. “We have to go deliver a baby!”
Even though I didn’t want anyone else to deliver my son I still objected, begging him to enjoy his wedding day. But he refused.
“Now we have two wonderful reasons to celebrate this day,” he and Aunt Karen had said.
And so off to the hospital we went.
For nineteen straight hours I gave it all I had, pleased that not once did Darren let go of my hand. We comforted each other in what could only be described as one of the scariest times of our lives. Emotion after emotion pulsed through our bodies as we pushed past our fear and uncertainty.
And, finally, it paid off.
Jaxon Riley Montgomery was born on Thursday, June 10, 2010. His eyes were perfectly rounded and blue as they could be. He had Darren’s thick wavy brown locks and his eyebrows were pristinely angled. He had little feet and toes and his skin was smooth and silky soft. He was 8lbs. 9oz and was, in everyway, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.
When they first handed him to me I could barely breathe. How could something so small and perfect be all mine?
“I love you,” I said, kissing his head. Then, I turned my attention to Darren who was simply staring at him, a tear rolling down his cheek.
“Do you want to hold him?” I asked.
He swallowed and took a moment before responding.
“I’m not sure if I know how,” he answered, still staring at Jaxon in awe.
“You’re going to have to learn some time,” I laughed and reached over, handing our son to him. He cradled him in his arms and rocked him gently as though he’d been doing it his whole life.
“It’s like carrying a football,” he joked, his eyes sparkling with tears.
Just then, everyone started piling in the little room. Riley and Lucy were first, making their way over to Darren, they too staring at our little bundle of joy in complete amazement.
My parents and Darren’s parents were next, cooing over his every move. And finally Karen came in and congratulated the both of us as we did the same to her.
After an hour or so of passing Jaxon, around and many congratulations, Riley finally made his way over to me, sitting gently at the foot of my bed.
He smiled.
“What?” I mirrored his grin.
“You did good, Sav,” he said simply. “You did good.”
“I couldn’t have done it without you.” I answered truthfully.
With that, he just smiled a big cheesy grin.

The day I found out I was pregnant could very well be called the worst day of my life. Words simply cannot describe how I felt. I was scared, overwhelmed, and, more than anything, just wanted someone, anyone, to tell me what I should do.
But the day I gave birth to my son was the best day of my life. I have never been happier throughout my whole sixteen years of existence. But I felt much of the same emotions I had when I found out that I was pregnant; scared and overwhelmed. But now they meant something else.
Yes, I was terrified. But it was the best kind of terrified there is. Yes, I was overwhelmed, overwhelmed with love. The love I felt from everyone around me, supporting me through everything. The love I felt for Darren, my rock. The love I felt for family and friends who I could not have done this without. But, most of all, overwhelmed with the amount of love I could have for someone so small, someone I still had the rest of my life to get to know. Someone who’d brought everyone I loved together.
I didn’t know what the future held. I didn’t know where we would be in ten, twenty years. But I did know that I wasn’t going in alone.
If I had to sum up my happily ever after here, I would end it with a photo, one of a hospital room. My parents and Darren’s on the left side of the bed while Riley and Lucy stood on the other side with Dr. Carlton and Aunt Karen. Darren and I are sitting on the bed together, a tiny miracle in my hands.
Now I understand what Mrs. Palmers was talking about. Each day is a new chance to grow. And no matter how much you think you’ve learned, you’re still learning. You are still blooming. Always.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have been writing this story for almost a year now and now I'm finished! It's been so much fun and it still means just as much to me as it did the day I began writing it.

Dedicated to all that was and all that will be. Xoxo.
Forever, rambunxouswriter