Status: teenage pregnancy

Blooming

Blooming Chapter 4

“So have you told your parents yet?” Lucy asked one weekend. We were both in the living room of my house reading the various books we’d bought the other day at the book store.

I sighed.

“What is it with you and wanting me to tell everybody I know already?” I whined. I had to admit, I was getting a little moody. Lucy had never gotten on my nerves before.

“Uh, maybe because you’re,” she paused, looked at my stomach, and whispered. “With child. People are going to find out sometime.”

I rolled my eyes.

“I’m serious,” she said. “Sav, you’re going to start showing soon.”

Of this, she’d been constantly reminding me.

“How do we even know if I really am pregnant? I mean, all we did was take some pregnancy tests. They could be wrong. There could be a chance that I’m not pregnant.” This didn’t come out as confident as I’d liked.

She looked at me and sighed.

“Sav, you took, like, ten tests. Literally.” she said.

“Yeah, but they could be wrong. Maybe there’s something else wrong with me that’s making them show positive.” I urged, although I knew she was right.

“Then we should go to the doctor and get it checked out.”

Now I was getting mad. Lucy was acting like she knew everything, and even though I knew she was right, I still wished she’d have a least a little faith in what I wanted.

I sighed and gave up. I knew the outcome of this argument. We’d had it several times.

“I don’t know how to tell my mom. She’ll freak.” I whined.

Lucy placed her hand on my shoulder.

“It’ll be fine. I’ll tell them with you.” she answered. I sighed again and nodded. She smiled and got up.

I looked at her quizzically as she stood hovering over me.

“Uh, what are you doing?” I asked.

She held out her hand to me. This was all too familiar.

“Come on.” she insisted.

I took her hand knowing that I shouldn’t. She led me into the kitchen.

“What are we doing?” I asked. We’d stopped directly in front of the phone in the kitchen.

“I’m giving you a choice.” she told me. “You can either call your parents or tell them when they get home.”

I could not believe this. I took a step back and crossed my arms.

“What? I didn’t mean tell them now. You are not my mom.” I said seriously.

“No. But I’m sure she’ll love finding out that you’re going be one by overhearing it from someone.”

This could not be happening. Lucy was threatening to tell my parents if I didn’t. This wasn’t fair.

“Lucy.” I said firmly. She raised her eyebrows. “This is my life. Give me some time to tell them.”

But I knew there’d be no reasoning with her.

“Sav, you’re my best friend. I would do anything for you. And that’s why if you don’t tell your parents I will. They need to know. It’s been weeks since we found out....”

“So? I will tell them. But not yet....”

She looked at me with pleading eyes.

“Sav.” she whispered.

I looked at the clock. My parents would be home any minute from the store. Then, I knew, I’d have to tell them. I wasn’t going to get out this.

“Lucy....” I said, tears swelling up in my eyes.

Just then, we heard a car pull into the driveway. My heart raced.

“It’ll be fine.” she said putting her hand on my shoulder once more.

The car door shut.

“I can’t....” I whispered listening to the pounding my ears.

The door started to open.

Lucy gripped my shoulder in support and within seconds, my parents emerged with Quick-E-Mart bags in their arms. They had no idea what I was about to tell them. To them, this was like any other evening. But for me, it would change my life.

“I’m pregnant.” I said, not beating around the bush. I knew that if I didn’t tell them as soon as they walked in, I wouldn’t be able to.

Mom dropped the bags she was holding and looked at me, wide-eyed. Dad set his groceries down before giving me the same look.

Short term sacrifices for long term goals, were the only words running through my mind.