You Are My Sunshine

Truth or Dare?

Still feeling a bit ‘out of it’, I quickly walked into the lounge room, where the three of them were parked on the couch under the big, heavy blanket. Jasper sat on the end of the big couch, then Alice next to him, and then there was a gap. But on the other side of that gap . . . was Edward. I could only guess this was part of Alice’s plan.
Alice smiled at me cheerfully. I walked over to stand in front of the couch, seeing if I was actually going to have to sit in between Alice and Edward.
The three of them stared at me for a minute, until I finally said “I’ll just sit over here,” and walked over to one of the arm chairs. I sat down and wrapped my arms around myself, still feeling cold.
“How about you come and sit over here, Bella? I’m sure it’s a lot warmer,” Alice said. She shifted herself a little closer to Jasper, making the space between her and Edward a little bigger. She patted the space.
I glared at Alice, but she just glared back. Her glare was terrifying; I wouldn’t dare mess with her if she had a look on her face like that. I sighed. I guess I had no choice then. I got up slowly and walked over to the space on the couch. Alice lifted up the blanket so I could get underneath it, and before I knew it I was so warm I forgot where I was for a second.
“There you go,” Alice said happily, as we heard another rumble of thunder. Then, from out of nowhere, Alice pulled out a small radio, and turned a few dials. Nothing happened. As she fiddled with it a bit more, I heard Edward sigh impatiently, as he reached across me and took the radio from Alice’s tiny hands. She pouted as Edward turned the radio on with one simple flick of a switch, and the voice of a presenter came on.
Edward smiled victoriously as Alice poked her tongue out at him. I giggled; it was funny to watch the silent quarrels between these too. I heard an extremely quiet laugh from Jasper too. Alice shushed us as the voice on the radio went to the weather.
The storm that has hit Sunshine Beach is almost over, the winds have died down and the clouds are very slowly clearing. There are a few fallen trees around, so watch out for those if you are driving. Power will soon be returned to those houses that have lost it. I hope everyone listening is safe and warm after this terrible storm.
The report from the radio relieved us all, especially the part where the power would soon be back. I yawned, tired after today’s events. Just like Alice was thinking exactly the same thing, she yawned too. We giggled. Then Edward and Jasper were yawning, and I couldn’t hold in my laugh any longer.
I burst out laughing, as did Alice. The boys gave us strange looks, but then were both laughing with us. When we settled down, I yawned again. Damn all these yawns. Alice laughed at me. I poked my tongue out at her. Then we were silent.
“Now what?” Alice had to ask.
“I have no idea,” I replied as I adjusted the blanket so I was comfortable again after the laughing-fest. “What time is it?” It hadn’t occurred to me until now that we had been here for a long time.
“It is . . . ten o’clock,” Edward said as he swivelled around to look at the clock on the wall behind us.
“Wow, ten already? That was fast,” Jasper said.
After such an eventful day, I figured I might as well get some sleep while I was warm and comfy now. “Well, I don’t know about you guys, but I think I might just go to sleep,” I told them. I closed my eyes and relaxed. It was so silent, the others must have agreed without a word. About 30 seconds passed, and it was still so silent, I couldn’t help but to look at the others. I opened my eyes to see three eyes staring at me strangely. My cheeks went a bright pink – I could feel it – as I sat up and avoided their eyes.
“Bells, we are not going to sleep yet. There’s one thing that we have to do first,” Alice said with a mischievous grin. Uh-oh, I didn’t like that grin.
“Oh no, Alice, please no.” Even Edward was afraid of Alice’s idea.
“What is it?” Jasper asked cautiously.
“We’re going to play truth or dare, of course!” Alice said excitedly.
My suspicions of her were correct. Truth or dare was the worst game to play when you are so easily subjected to embarrassment like me. This was not going to be fun.
“I’ll go first!” Alice nominated herself, and turned to me.
No. No, no, no. There is NO way I am getting asked first. Alice must have ignored the horrified look on my face, and asked anyway. “Bella, truth or dare?”
“Alice, please don’t make me go first! I hate playing truth or dare!” I said to her quietly.
“Come on Bella, one game won’t hurt,” she replied.
I grimaced. This was not going to be fun. I guess there’s no way in arguing with Alice, she always seems to get her way. Which should I choose? Truth seemed to be the one that would most likely make me go as red as a tomato, so I guess dare was the way to go.
“Uh, dare,” I said reluctantly.
First Alice’s face dropped, but after about three seconds she was her excited self again, maybe even slightly more excited than usual. Uh-oh. I hate truth or dare.
“Okay, Bella, I dare you to . . . sing us a song!” Alice told me extremely excitedly.
What? Did she say sing? I can’t sing! The last time I sang in front of anyone was in the primary school choir which I was forced to do! Oh no! I sat there quietly, staring straight ahead. Alice waved her hand in front of my eyes.
“Maybe she has stage fright?” Edward said, laughing gently.
It wasn’t funny. He was exactly right.
“Come on, Bella, we won’t laugh,” Alice encouraged.
“Bella, you’re not that bad, you know,” Jasper said. How would he know?
“How would you know?” Alice said the exact thing on my mind.
“Hello? Her big brother is my best friend, I’ve known you both since primary school,” Jasper pointed out.
“Good point, but when have you actually heard me sing?” I asked, finding my voice.
Jasper laughed, and I glared at him. “You sing in the shower, Bella.”
I turned a bright red once again. I forgot about that. Jasper laughed again.
“So go on, sing!” Jasper said. “You can do it,” he said, looking me straight in the eye. His chocolate brown eyes couldn’t be fought with.
I took a deep breath and stood up. I turned around, avoiding their eyes, concentrating on the pictures on the wall behind the couch. There was a family photo – Alice and Edward looked about nine or ten years old, standing in front of their parents. Alice looked a lot like their mother, the same brown hair and bright smile, whereas Edward looked slightly more like his father, sharing the same emerald green eyes and the same shaped nose. They all looked happy – a close family.
I heard someone clear their throat. I looked down at three pairs of waiting eyes. “Uh, but, I don’t know what to sing,” I said, trying to buy myself some time to figure out how to get out of this.
“Well, sing the first song that pops into your head,” Alice suggested.
The first song to pop into my head was Love Game by Lady GaGa. Don’t ask me why, it must have been the last song I heard on the radio. I’m not singing that. “Uh, no, I uh, can’t think of any. Give me some ideas,” I said to them.
“Hmm, how about a . . . Black Eyes Peas song?” Jasper suggested.
“Or a Kelly Clarkson song?” Alice thought.
“Sing something that relates to you, something that you believe in, or just a song that you love,” Edward suggested. Only he would be the one to not actually give me a band or a song. But his advice helped me. I knew what I was going to sing.
I cleared my throat . . . and prepared for doom.
All this time I was wasting
Hoping you would come around
I’ve been giving out chances every time
And all you do is let me down

And it’s taking me this long
Baby but I figured you out
And you’re thinking we’ll be fine again
But not this time around
You don’t have to call anymore
I won’t pick up the phone
This is the last straw
Don’t wanna hurt anymore
And you can say that you’re sorry
But I don’t believe you baby
Like I did before
You’re not sorry, no, no ,no ,no
Looking so innocent
I might believe you if I didn’t know
Could’ve loved you all my life
If you hadn’t left me waiting in the cold
And you got your share of secrets
And I'm tired of being last to know
And now you're asking me to listen
Cause it's worked each time before

But you don't have to call anymore
I won't pick up the phone
This is the last straw
Don't wanna hurt anymore

And you can tell me that you're sorry
But I don't believe you baby
Like I did before
You're not sorry, no, no, oh
You're not sorry, no, no, oh

You had me falling for you honey
And it never would've gone away, no
You used to shine so bright
But I watched all of it fade

So you don't have to call anymore
I won't pick up the phone
This is the last straw
There's nothing left to beg for

And you can tell me that you're sorry
But I don't believe you baby
Like I did before
You're not sorry, no, no, oh
You're not sorry, no, no, oh
No, oh, no, oh, no oh
Whoa, no, no

(You’re Not Sorry by Taylor Swift)

I took a deep breath with my eyes closed. That wasn’t so bad, I guess. That song related to me so well, it’s one of the few songs I can really sing from the heart. I opened my eyes and gave a small smile. “There, I sang for you, happy?” I asked.
I looked at their faces. Jasper had a look of satisfaction on his face, Alice was smiling brightly, looking like she was just about to jump up and run around the house for no particular reason, and Edward, he looked like he was in a somewhat form of shock. I sat back down on the couch, pulling the big blanket over my body once again. “You look really shocked, now I feel insulted. Are you really that surprised?” I said to Edward. Wow, I actually said something witty to him. Woo, go Bella!
“Bells, you’re a great singer!” Alice exclaimed, and Jasper nodded in agreement.
“No, she’s not great,” Edward said suddenly.
I looked at him, slightly shocked. I don’t blame him, but really, does he have to be so rude about it?
He looked me right in the eye with his beautiful green ones, and told me straight out.
“You’re amazing.”