Fragments of a Broken Mind

Chapter 16

*TIME ELAPSE*

I was in the kitchen when Gerard burst excitedly through the door. I jumped as it had been ages since he had used the key. It had been months now since he had moved out and I had got used to him not being there. I didn’t like it at all, that feeling had never changed, but I had got used to it and accepted it. He giggled at me now as I clutched at the table to stay upright. I threw him a glare and noted the way he was almost jumping up and down. Gerard had something to tell me I concluded. I steadied myself and then grinned at him, “so, what brings you here?”

“Oh, I am so happy Mikey and I just had to tell someone so naturally I thought of you!”

“Well, what is it then?”

“I… Oh my God, it is so amazing that I can hardly believe it but… oh, guess?” before I could though he cut me off, “you’ll never get it but… Oh God, I am so happy right now that I can’t tell you!” he started dancing round the room, giggling when I tried to hold him still, “I have a boyfriend Mikey”

I threw my arms about him and began jumping much like he was. Selfishly my first thought was that if he was over me he would move back home, “don’t leave it there Gee!” I whined softly, “do I know them or anything? How did you meet? Details!”

“That’s the most amazing bit; you do know him and I have known him for… well… forever and I never knew how I felt, let alone that he felt the same. We were just talking then we just...well, somehow we were kissing and the sparks flew I can tell you. Oh God, it feels so good!”

My curiosity was spiked right then, desperate to know who the guy was that we both knew. Mind you, I didn’t care who it was who had made my brother smile again, it could be anybody and I would still be grateful. I held my brothers arms to hold him still, “come on then, spit it out, who is it?”

He grinned from ear to ear and I realised I had never seen him so happy. “It’s Bob! Bob is my boyfriend who I adore so much and never knew!”

“Bob?” I repeated, surprised. I had never even realised Bob swung that way but he was making my brother smile so it was a good thing he was doing, “that’s so great Gee, just wait until I tell Frank as he will be so happy for you!”

Gerard squealed and hugged me again, “I never knew or expected this. The whole thing to me… well, us… is just like, wow! Honestly we were just talking and then all of a sudden… It was amazing trust me.”

“What were you talking about?” I asked as I went to the coffee pot. I pointed to it and he nodded. I poured the cups and went into the lounge so we could sit and drink them, “I mean, if you want to tell me…”

Gerard smiled at me, “we were talking about you and the feelings that I had. He thought that I was mixing it all up and I was dependant and not in love. So, I was talking about that and all of a sudden we were kissing. I don’t know what triggered it at all Mikey but right then there was need, passion and desire. I can’t really work it all out but I know one thing for sure.”

“What is that?”

“Bob was right, I am not in love with you Mikey I just thought I was,” his smile became a grin, “I guess what I am trying to say is that I am over you. Can we be brothers again?”

My grin matched his own, “we never stopped sugar,” well, I had never stopped being a brother to him. “Welcome home!”