Sequel: A New Kind of Denial

Undeniably In Denial

Reese

Part Two - Five Years Later


I stepped out of the airport with my guitar slung over my shoulder and my luggage wheeling along behind me, breathing in a big breath of England air. Ah, my first European tour. I've toured all through America; all through Canada; I've even been to Japan for a couple shows. But never in Europe.

Wait, tour? Europe? Japan? That’s right, I'm famous now. Worldwide, actually. My band Karma and I. I'm the lead singer, and I obviously play the guitar too. Jason is our bassist, and the drummer and the lead guitarist are two guys we went to college with. Ianto Carter, a quiet but conniving little thing, is a killer guitarist that’s actually from London, England originally. Our drummer, Ash Callen, is your typical ‘emo kid’ with his two tone hair, Vans, skinny jeans and homosexuality. Ianto’s bisexual also, so we’re often known as the ‘gay gang’ and other badly-thought-of names by all the homophobes out there that would rather ignore good music and point out things we already know.

Anyways, there was supposed to be a car waiting for us outside the airport, and that’s why I was out there by myself. Since I'm the ‘leader of the group’ as they put it, I had to keep watch for the car. I don’t know why, though, since it’s supposed to wait for us, but whatever. It didn’t quite matter to me either way.

A little while later, the guys walked out with all their things rolling behind them.

“Not here yet?” Ash asked, setting down his duffel bag.

“Does it look like it?” Jason laughed.

“Oh, shush up,”

“Wow, that was just a wonderful comeback,” Ianto chuckled. “Really well thought through and planned. Good one.”

“Well I'm sorry I'm not as quick with my comebacks as you are Ianto,” he grunted, crossing his arms over his chest and grumbling to himself.

“Hey guys, our ride’s here! Stop fighting like girls and come on,” Jason yelled, taking his stuff over to the back end of the huge black vehicle.

Image


“You guys ready to blast off into space?” Ianto yelled to the crowd surrounding the stage while I fixed my microphone and got my guitar ready. He was answered with a deafening scream. “Oh come on! I know you can do better than that!” The next scream was so loud they could probably hear it in the next town. Well, obviously not, but you get my point. “Now that’s what I'm talking about! Here’s To Uranis and Back!

Oh yea, that’s right. ‘To Uranis and Back’. Not spelled like the planet, either. The title wasn’t supposed to be like that originally, but someone made a joke about it and it just sort of stuck. Believe it or not, it’s actually our hit song. It’s downloaded most and it’s played on the radio most out of all of our songs. It may not be our best song, but it’s our most popular one.

After that, we played To Uranis and Back Again, which is just sort of the sequel to the first one. Then came Monkey Wrench, Poptarts and Hand Grenades, New Mexico, Melody’s got the Harmony and Harmony’s got the Melody, and Turtle Soup, all of which are on our newest album, entitled, “He’s About as Punk as my Grandma.”

Ianto actually got one of his friends from London to tour with us throughout Europe and play a really cool intermission type thing on the piano while the four of us went back stage to relax for a few minutes. But of course, we had to get back out there and finish the lineup, which included some of our better songs off of our other two CD’s.

We weren’t expecting that many people to show up to the first concert of the tour, but we ended up selling out the entire venue. I mean, this place was huge, and there was barely any room for breathing down there. So naturally, we were all really excited about the turn out, and that just increased as the night progressed because of how amazing the crowd was. It was just an amazing feeling, knowing that all those kids jumping around out there were jumping and screaming because of us. All four of us were floating on a sort of high from it all when we got back to the hotel.

The first thing we all did, though, was shower. The problem was, we went two people to a room and there was only one shower in each room, so one of each pairs would be waiting before we could wash up. As for the room line up, Ash and I had one room and Ianto and Jason had the other, which basically meant that Ianto and I would be the ones that had to stay sweaty longer. Jason and Ash were both really strong guys, and compared to Ianto and me, they were massive. I mean, it’s not as if we’re weak; they’re just a lot stronger than us.

I was the first of the two of us to get to our hotel room, but when we got inside, I was tackled by Ash as he ran off toward the bathroom. By the time I got there, he was already in the shower with the water running. At first I wasn’t even sure if he’d taken his clothes off before hand, but then noticed the messy pile of clothes next to the bathtub.

“Fuck you, Ash!” I yelled into him, taking a seat on the toilet lid.

“What was that? This shower is too loud. I can’t hear you,”

“Oh, you just shut it,”

“Is that all you’ve got, Reese? Really? That’s pathetic!”

“Well what would you have said in return?”

“I wouldn’t have said anything, because I wouldn’t have been in your position,” he said, poking his foamy head out from behind the shower curtain. He must have been in the middle of shampooing or something. “But this is what I have to say now; why don’t you just join me in here?”

“Is that you trying to be seductive, Ash? Because the soap is really taking that down a few notches,”

“Well then, how about this?” he laughed, making a painful looking expression appear on his face.

“Oh, please! Make it stop!” I laughed, shielding my eyes jokingly.

“Then get in the shower,”

“And if I refuse?”

“Then I do this,” he said, reaching out of the shower and grabbing my arm, pulling me under the spray of the water, clothes and all.

“I never said I was refusing, now did I?” I whispered in his ear, shoving him up against the wall and kissing him.

Image


“Don’t tell Josh and I won’t tell Mae?” Ash asked me as we all sat around a table in some coffee shop, eating breakfast the next morning. I took a drink of my latte and answered with;

“Since when do we ever tell our partners about what goes on while we’re on tour?”

“I'm guessing you two went at it last night?” Ianto asked, smiling at us like he knew exactly what happened, which I'm sure he probably did.

“In the shower. And I'm guessing you two did too?”

“Barely made it to the shower,” Jason smirked.

“I swear, we are so horrible after our first show,”

“First show? More like every show,” Ianto corrected, laughing.

“Maybe we should try toning it down a little bit,” Jay suggested. That floored me, and apparently it did everyone else too.

“Reese? Is it just me or has Jason finally snapped? He’s telling us that we should calm it down? Oh my god, the world must be ending! The apocalypse is here; well, bloody hell,”

“No, I'm serious guys,” he laughed. “I'm not saying to completely stop it; I just think maybe we shouldn’t do it so much. We have sex with each other as much as other rock stars do drugs and drink. So much that it can’t be healthy,”

“Well, tuning it down a bit shouldn’t be too hard, should it?”

“Who knows, man, who knows…”