Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

10

Skylar’s POV

The days passed quickly, my date with Sam looming just ahead. I wasn’t sure how I felt about it, but I knew I would be a little uncomfortable with the fact that I was about to date my employer. All rules of etiquette said never do something like that. It was not the professional thing to do. But I wasn’t the one who asked, was I?

I had to admit, his looks didn’t hurt either. He was definitely attractive. But that still wasn’t it. He was so incredibly caring. Don’t get me wrong. I was very unfamiliar with this man, but there was something about him that told me he was the kind of man that would look after you and keep you safe. He would always be loyal. And I knew that if I went on a date with him, I would have to be the one to break it off, because there was no way he would ever hurt a living soul if he could help it.

So what the hell was I doing? I knew that this could only end in pain, unless I ended up falling for Sam and everything worked out the way it would in a perfect world. And God, didn’t I know it wasn’t anywhere near a perfect world. And something else told me that there was no way I would ever fall for Sam. I didn’t know why I had come to this conclusion, but I did just the same.

I have always liked to think that there was one person out there that was meant for me- The One, so to speak. Every person had their true love; the one that they were meant to be with forever, and Sam was not it for me.

I felt horrible thinking that way, but it was true.

But hey, can’t a girl have any fun anymore? I was going to live this out as long as I possibly could. Sam liked me, and I would do everything in my power to make it work out the best it possibly could, even if we weren’t soul mates.

What was I doing, thinking about soul mates when Sam was only taking me out on one date? I definitely wasn’t functioning properly. There was something wrong with my brain.

It was Thursday night, to be exact. And the one thing that bothered me even more than the date I had coming was the fact that I hadn’t seen Eric once since the night when he saved my life.

I had started to worry. What was going on with him that he would just not show? Maybe he had finally gotten tired of me not giving in to his wishes. Most likely, he had moved on to bigger and better things.

I could imagine him out with some girl, treating her like she was a snack bar, probably. After all, he needed a girl who would put out for him, both sexually and…bloodwise.

What did it matter to me anymore what he did? I was going to go out with Sam. He could go off and do whatever the hell he wanted. What did it matter to me?