Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

15

Skylar’s POV

“I love you,” he said, so quietly I could barely hear him over my own screaming.

But as soon as I heard the words leave his lips, I stopped my assault on him. I was frozen.

“What did you just say to me?” I asked in disbelief.

“I love you Skylar,” he whispered again, looking into my eyes. I watched in astonishment as a single tear of blood escaped one of his eyes.

I was still frozen. I could not think past the intensity of his words. They were simply too much for me to handle at the moment.

He continued to look deeply into my eyes, and another tear fell, probably due to my lack of response after he had professed his love for me. What was I supposed to do? I had no idea how to act when a vampire himself acted so out of character. At first, I wasn’t even sure that vampires were capable of love. But then again, Sookie and Bill seemed to love each other very much. Who was I to say it was impossible.

All of these thoughts were running through my head so quickly that they became a jumbled and incoherent mess.

“I-I…don’t know what to say,” I managed to stammer.

Eric wiped his tears away and dropped his gaze. “It’s fine. You don’t need to feel obligated to say anything,” he muttered in a tone that almost sounded angry, and then he pushed lightly past my frozen body and made his way to the back door, back into the bar.

“Wait,” I whispered, but he did not seem to hear me. Maybe he stopped for a fraction of a second, but I did not notice it with my incapable human eyes.

Once the door had closed behind him, and I was alone in the darkness of the night, I had tears of my own to shed.

I wiped them away with unexpected anger, and walked the long way around the club to the parking lot. I ignored the stares of the humans that were waiting in line for admission to the bar, and looked for my car. It was difficult to find, mostly because I was so angry when I parked that I didn’t remember which space I had chosen.

But eventually, with the help of my key’s panic button, I found my car.

I am embarrassed to say that I cried the entire drive home. I did not understand how this was possible. I just felt so entirely empty on the inside, as if I was supposed to be driving in the opposite direction.