Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

18

Eric’s POV

Pain. Heart wrenching pain was what I felt. And it was a pain that was separate from myself, but not at the same time.

It was her pain. What could have made her feel such pain? At first, I was worried that she had been attacked again, but I soon realized that this pain was not physical. It came from within herself, and in turn, within myself as well.

Her pain was my pain, and I wanted it to end. I also felt her confusion. And buried underneath it was something that was steadily growing stronger. I could not identify it, but I knew it was something that would irrevocably change her. Whether this change was good or bad, I could not tell.

My judgment was too clouded by my own pain, but I knew she was suffering greatly. And such pain increased my own pain tenfold.

Human emotions seemed to be so much stronger than those of vampires were. Yet, I knew there were changes taking place deep inside of me. I was becoming more human myself. Traits and emotions apparently were able to resurface over time, even after I thought I had left them in the cold ground where I had completed my transformation.

It was human pain I felt, and not just from Skylar. No, there were now twin pains inside of me, like two aching hearts that thudded in my cold chest. Was it possible for a heart to start beating after it had been long dead for a thousand years? That was what it felt like to me.

I wished that I could stab the heart into silence. I wished that I could make it stop beating so painfully, a taunting reminder of what I once. Oh, how I wish I could be human for her. I wished I could be good and pure for her, without the burden of thousands of murders on my back. I felt their weight on me, knowing that because of them and my various other vampiric attributes, she would never love me.

If only she knew she made me feel human again. I wanted her blood in my veins, yet at the same time, I knew I would never harm her.

And yet her pain continued, just as sharp as my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
can you count how many times I used the word "pain" in this chapter? wow, haha