Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

28

I became more aware of my surroundings as the effects of the drugs wore off. The room was large and luxurious with black leather furniture, and I was seated in a large, high backed chair with cushioned arm rests. I was not tied down in any way, so this man must have been very confident that there was no possibility of escape.

I also noticed that the windows were heavily draped with black velvet, which made me think that it must still be daylight.

“Who are you?” I asked, trying to remain as calm as possible while thinking of any possible way I could escape from my prison.

“My name id Joseph, but I assume that you would like to know a bit more than that.

“I am one of the oldest vampires in California, and I sent my assistant to bring you to me a few weeks back when you were still attending college there. Unfortunately, he seemed incapable of following orders when he slipped, and killed your roommate and then proceeded to follow you in your flight from California. He then attempted to take your life last night. I was informed of this a few hours later, after the sun had risen.

“Of course, I was only too pleased when I discovered that I no longer needed to dispose of his myself. Someone had already done that for me. However, I also learned that you had come into contact with another vampire, which I cannot say I was pleased to discover.

“But I am getting ahead of myself. My fascination with you and your abilities began when you started attending college. I visited the college quite often at night, since it is only too easy to glamour college girls into allowing me to feed on them. I saw you standing quite obviously apart from the others at a party one night, and your scent hit me with the force of a battering ram.

“That was the moment I discovered just how special you were, how unique, how valuable. Of course, I wanted you for my own, so I had you followed by my assistant. And now we have come full circle.”

“Do you really think you can have me that easily?” I said, surprised that the stupid words left my mouth.

“What makes you think that there is anything or anyone standing in my way, Skylar?” he asked, just a hint of impatience in his voice.

“I already belong to another vampire,” I said coolly.

Joseph walked swiftly to my seat and gently pulled away the scarf that was wrapped around my neck, exposing the two small bite marks that I had hidden from view.

Joseph dropped the scarf, and his hands balled into fists briefly before loosening again.

“That can easily be taken care of. You have made a grave mistake, Skylar. Because I know the vampire to whom you have given yourself. You have just signed Eric Nothman’s death warrant.”

My eyes widened, and then I tried to rise from my seat, only to fall to the ground at Joseph’s feet.

“No! Please, don’t hurt him. I’ll do anything. Just please, don’t hurt him. Not Eric.”

It took me a moment to realize I was sobbing. With shaking hands, I wiped away my tears.

“Anything, child? That is a dangerous offer to make.”

“Anything,” I whispered.

“Then you must call him, and tell him to come here if he wishes for you to live through the next night.”

“What are you going to do to him?”

“Worry not, my dear. He will remain unharmed as long as he follows orders.”

I nodded in compliance, all the while thinking that Eric was never one to follow orders.

“Now, I will sleep. It is not yet nightfall. But my day walkers will be here to keep an eye one you. When the sun sets, you will call Eric, and say only what I permit you to say.”

With that, he left the room, leaving me with the two men who had kidnapped me. The large one lifted me off the floor, and placed me gently back in my chair.

“Sleep now,” he said. “You have a long night ahead of you.”

I was obedient, closing my eyes.

And then the nightmare began.