Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

30

Skylar’s POV

I did exactly as I was told to the last detail. I gave Eric the address, and addressed the urgency of the situation; that Eric had until three hours after sundown to come to that address and meet with Joseph, or I would be dead.

After that, I was not allowed to say anything else, and was forced to hang up on Eric and his further questions about my situation.

“You have done very well, Skylar. I would predict that he will be here within the hour. Now, if you will excuse me…” He picked up some rope from the table, and tied my wrists to each armrest, my ankles to the two front legs of the chair. Joseph was sure that Eric would only follow orders if he believed I was truly in danger.

Joseph wanted Eric to be there to approve and witness the transfer of “ownership” from Eric to himself. He wanted to humiliate Eric and belittle him. But in my eyes, humiliation was better than death. If Eric did not comply, than Joseph would kill him, and I was too afraid to bet on Eric being a stronger fighter than him. If I knew anything about vampires, Joseph would have plenty of his own kind to back him up. And if I knew anything about Eric, his pride would not let him bring any backup with him.

Two bulky vampires grabbed Eric from either side while Joseph approached him from the front, his back to me.

“Give her to me, Eric. Say it.” There was a cruel glee in Joseph’s voice that made me want to cry and scream at the same time.

“She will never be yours,” Eric growled.

Joseph’s hands balled into fists. And then he hit Eric. I knew he wouldn’t stop.

I awoke from my vision, shaking involuntarily.

“What was that?” one of the men asked me, as I tried to shake my head of the image.

“That was the reason why your master wants me so badly.”

“What did you see, child?” Joseph asked me, his voice rich with a profound interest in my vision.

“If you hurt him, Joseph, I will kill you. And if I can’t do it myself, I swear I will find someone who can,” was my reply.

Joseph roared with laughter, shoulders heaving. He stopped suddenly, inches from my face, fangs bared. “I don’t respond well to threats.”

I laughed in his face at that. I must have suddenly become giddy from all the stress, because I kept laughing for nearly a minute. “It’s funny you should say that, because it’s not the first time I have heard it. Another vampire told me the same thing, and yet here I am.”

“You will find, my dear, that unlike other vampires, my bite is worse than my bark. And if you do threaten me again, child, I will punish you. That is a promise.”

“Don’t you dare lay a hand on her,” Eric’s voice boomed throughout the room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun dun