Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

31

Skylar’s POV

“Don’t you dare lay a hand on her,” Eric’s voice boomed throughout the room.

Even though I knew I was far from being out of danger, a part of me rejoiced for his nearness. For surely, as long as he was close, life could not be so terrible, could it?

“Well, if it isn’t Eric Northman. The last time I saw you, you were still trailing behind your maker like a lost puppy,” Joseph sniggered.

“Let her go, Joseph.”

Joseph continued on with his speech as if Eric had never opened his mouth.

“I have called you here because you have something I want.”

“You cannot have her. Skylar is mine,” Eric hissed.

This is not the time to be possessive! I thought, trying to project these thoughts to him through the air. But, sadly, telepathic communication was not among my abilities.

“She will be mine, one way or another.”

“Never!” Eric yelled, and there was flicker in his eyes that told me he was about to lose control.

Joseph must have noticed this as well, because with a quick nod of his head, two vampires came into view from opposite sides of the dimly lit room, like wraiths from the darkest corners of the night.

They clasped their hands on Eric’s arms with an inescapable iron grip before he even had time to react.

I had never in my life thought that he could be so easily overtaken. But then again, my entanglement within the vampire world had only begun about a month previously, so I could not exactly call myself an expert.

“She will be mine,” Joseph repeated again, this time with a malicious grin plastered about his features.

I chose this moment to speak. “Eric, please! I have seen him hurt you. Please! Just do what he says.”

“Listen to Skylar,” he said with a laugh. “She knows what I can do to you.”

My eyes pleaded with him, and his image began to blur before my eyes. I blinked, hot tears running down my cheeks.

“I can’t do it, Skylar. I cannot give you away to him; not when I know what he wants from you.”

“I don’t care what he does to me, Eric. But if he kills you, I won’t be able to-”

“Shut up, Skylar. You will be fine. No matter what happens to me, you are going to survive. It’s one of your many talents; survival. You have always been the strong one, not me.” Then he deliberately looked away from me, and straight into Joseph’s icy eyes.

“I cannot giver her to you.”

“She is already mine, Eric. Say it!” Joseph hissed.

“Never,” Eric spoke calmly, even when he knew what was in store for him when he refused Joseph what he wanted.

“Give her to me, Eric. Say it.” There was a cruel glee in Joseph’s voice that made me want to cry and scream at the same time.

“She will never be yours,” Eric growled.

Joseph’s hands balled into fists. And then he hit Eric. I knew he wouldn’t stop.

I heard bones cracking under the force of Joseph’s blows, and I writhed against the ropes that bound me.

The beatings suddenly stopped, but what followed was even more horrific.

Joseph pulled a smooth, thin wooden stake from his jacket pocket.

“Joseph, no!” I screamed. I stared at the ropes that held me in place, willing them to fall away.

The ropes unknotted themselves, and while I was shocked and amazed, I did not allow myself time to celebrate. Joseph had his back to me, so he did not notice or expect me to do what I did. I dove for him, somehow managing to retrieve the stake from his grasp and take it into my own hands. The two vampires holding Eric looked startled, obviously wondering what else I had up my sleeve.

“Even with telekinesis, my dear, you will not be able get to me fast enough to kill me.” Joseph didn’t even seem surprised.

“That wasn’t what I was planning,” I said with a sly smile, pointing the stake away from him and towards my own heart.

“No!” Eric growled, struggling against the two vampires that contained him.

“Give him permission to have me, Eric, or I swear, I will do it. And I will use my new ability to hold them off until they can’t save me.

“Skylar, please! Don’t do this.”

“Give him permission, Eric!” I yelled, pressing down on the stake until it pierced through the fabric of my shirt and pricked at my skin.

Eric closed his eyes, and two crimson tears made a trail down his alabaster cheeks.

“Joseph,” he began with a trembling voice. “She is yours.”

I dropped the stake, letting it clatter to the floor.

“You will be very valuable to me as a vampire, my child,” he smiled, and closed the distance between us, clasping his hands on my shoulders as he sank his fangs into my neck, using the same entry wounds that Eric had made just a few hours previously. I dug my fingers into Joseph’s arms, refusing to make any noises that would give away the immense pain I was experiencing as my blood was taken from me against my will.

My eyes fell on Eric, watching the scene play out in front of him with horrified eyes. I locked eyes with him, and gasped as the pain increases exponentially. I tried not to make any other noises; I didn’t want Eric to suffer through this any more than he had to, but I didn’t last for long. I screamed as my legs gave out and Joseph lowered me to the floor, moving to the veins at my wrists. I felt blood still seeping from the wound at my neck and soaking my hair. I still looked at Eric even as my breaths became more labored.

I knew I was drained to the point that if I lost more, I would die. Joseph moved up to my face, where he bit his wrist and forced me to drink. In mere minutes I would die from loss of blood, and Eric would have to watch.

Once Joseph was satisfied that I had enough blood to be ale to complete the change, he moved away, and the guard vampires holding Eric released him.

He rushed to my side, lifting my numb, limp body as he held me to him.

“I’m so sorry, Skylar. Please, please forgive me,” he cried as he rocked me back and forth.

“I love you,” I whispered against his chest where he held me tightly against him as if holding me tight enough would trap life inside of me.

“Don’t say it like that, Skylar. You are going to live. Don’t say goodbye.”

“I’m…tired,” I whispered quietly, letting my head rest in the crook of his elbow.

“No, no! Don’t! Look at me! Keep your eyes open!”

What a silly request! Something heavy and cool was pressing on me, an invitation of escape from the pain I felt. It was very much like sleep, and also very much like waking in the morning. It seemed to be both a beginning and end, one that would be long and comfortable. I let my eyes close and accept it.

Suddenly, I was being shaken, even as I was falling into the deepest slumber. I heard the splintering of wood, followed by growling and yelling and gurgling. I fell to the floor, but the pain had already left me.

Whatever was going on in the world at this moment meant very little to me. Peace had come.

I heard Joseph’s screams, but I felt no curiosity in what was happening. Other voices could be heard in the room, and I quickly slipped farther and farther away from it all.

And then I died.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry it keeps taking me so long to update. I hope this at least partially makes up for it.

I have nine out of ten stars!!! I am so excited! Thanks, guys! You rock.