Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

32

My whole body felt encased with cool moisture as I felt myself lowering and rising at the same time. I knew I was some place above my body, and yet I was still connected to it, as if the process of my death had not yet been completed. I felt a strange indifference towards life now. No part of me longed to return to it, and I remembered nothing of it. There was no longer anything there for me, so there was no sense in going back, and that was not a choice for me any longer.

My time to live had passed away with me, just as it should have. I vaguely felt somewhere deep inside of myself that there had been a reason for me to fight and live, even when I was in pain. But none of that mattered now, and I didn’t waste my efforts on such trivial matters.

Just as I had given up trying to think of anything from my life, a small word popped into my head. Something told me that it had been pleasant to me during my lifetime, and I wondered why. As I wondered at its significance, it became apparent to me that this, in fact, was not a word, but a name.

Eric… the name whispered on the edges of my consciousness.

And even in death, when I had heard from so many far older and wiser than I, not all information was revealed to me. I could not remember the source, or the importance of the name.

Even in death, I was not at peace.