Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

35

Eric’s POV

“Eric, you have to eat sooner or later,” Pam said in a warning voice as I clutched onto the throne-like chair, watching the black-clad human in my bar.

Their scent was appealing, but was no temptation compared to Skylar. I had not eaten since her death, which had been two nights ago.

Finally, I had to face the truth that she had not consumed enough of Joseph’s blood to return. It only took one night for the transformation to be complete, and she had been in the ground for too long to come back. Her body had probably already started to decay.

“I have no desire to feed,” I said in a flat tone that was barely over a whisper. “I am not hungry.”

This, of course, was a lie. My empty veins burned like hot wires, and my stomach was painfully hollow. My last look in the mirror had revealed reddish-purple circles around my eyes, and a chalky white complexion that was too pallid, even for a vampire.

Even worse, her face plagued my nightmares. I saw her crying as she begged for me to save myself. I had never met anyone so selfless in all my existence. The world was full of greedy, selfish people, and yet she had been willing to sacrifice herself for me, a creature with no soul to save.

Pam patted my shoulder, an unusual gesture of sympathy, then left me alone. She knew me well enough to know when I wanted to keep to myself.

The world moved steadily around me, just as it always had before me. But I went against the laws of the universe, staying in one place, never changing.

I had outlived everyone I had ever loved or cared for; my old human friends and family, Godric, who was my own maker. And now, just when I thought I had found my way back to something that was pure and beautiful, even though it would undoubtedly be brief, it had been taken away from me. She had been taken before it was her time.

I too, had been taken before it was my time to go. Only somehow I was still here, left to mourn her.