Status: Finished!!!

Life Starts After Dark

8

Skylar’s POV

The sun came up, and I had to shield my eyes. It must have been all that blood I drank. I could tell you now; I didn’t like all of the effects so far.

I walked over to the mirror, looking at my reflection. I was taken aback by what I saw. My eyes looked brighter, even though they were gray. My pale skin seemed to glow a little, like I noticed some vampire’s skin glowed. My black hair seemed healthier, shinier than usual. I felt different. I could smell the laundry detergent in all my clothes as I opened my closet and chose my clothes for the day.

It was Monday, which meant I had work. I was excited to get back into a normal routine that didn’t involve nearly being raped and killed. I also was glad that the sun meant no Eric. I needed some more time to think about what I wanted to do about our situation. I certainly wasn’t happy that he was the main star in the most inappropriate dream I had ever had in my life. This was all new to me. I wanted nothing to do with it, I decided.

At the same time, I couldn’t stop myself from thinking about it all. Something almost animalistic had awoken inside of me. I felt a new sense of power, and I was more aware of my body than I had ever been before.

I walked downstairs around noon, and fixed myself a bowl of cereal. Just Frosted Mini Wheats, but they tasted different to me. Everything was sharper, as if I could actually tell where the grains had come from, and I could taste the very sun under which they grew.

This was way too weird for me.

________________________________________________________________________________

I worked table faster than normal for me. My mind was sharper, and more visions came, even if they weren’t important. I got some of what they customers where about to order, and foresaw when they were about to cause trouble in the bar. I was sure to steer clear of them when they did, because usually they were up to getting frisky with those of the female persuasion, something that was prohibited at Merlotte’s.

“You look different today,” Sookie pointed out as we both reached the cook’s counter to pick up our orders.

“Really?” I asked. “I have been using this new lipstick…maybe that’s it,” I lied.

Her eyes widened shortly after I said this, and I wondered what was up with her. Sookie was very nice, but sometimes she was just strange.

“Is something wrong?” I asked her in a polite tone.

“Nope. I’m fine. I just remembered that I forgot to put silverware on one of my tables.”

I knew she was lying as soon as the words left her mouth. I didn’t know why, but she was hiding something from me.

I mostly tried to keep to myself throughout the night, and Sam seemed to notice that.

“How are you doing tonight?” he asked, his kind blue eyes twinkling at me. “Is everything alright?”

“Oh, I’m fine,” I lied. “I’m just trying to get into the swing of things.”

“Well, you’ve been doing a pretty good job of it. You’ve been working non-stop all night. You’re shift ended five minutes ago.”

I was amazed at myself. Was I really so absentminded that I could work through eight hours like they were nothing? My mind was so full of visions that everything seemed to happen very quickly.

Oh, there was definitely something wrong with me.

“I guess I’ll just check out then,” I said quickly, feeling embarrassed. “Unless you need help shutting down for the night.”

“That would be very helpful, thank you,” he answered, smiling that kind smile of his.

We cleaned up together, washing the tabletops and sweeping the floors. I worked quickly. It was amazing what vampire blood could do for you.

In about thirty minutes, we had managed to clean up the entire bar.

“Thanks for helping out tonight.”

“It was nothing,” I assured him.

“Hey, I was wondering…” he began apprehensively.

“Yes?” I urged.

“What are you doing Saturday night?” he asked.

Probably entertaining an impossible vampire, I thought to myself.

“I don’t have anything planned,” I answered instead.

“Would you like to catch a movie, maybe go to dinner afterwards?” he asked cautiously, as if I were about to punch him in the face for asking me out.

For a brief moment, I thought about it. Did I like Sam? He was kind and handsome. He cared so much out others. And those beautiful eyes of his.

“Of course, Sam. That sounds great.” I smiled at him, and found that I didn’t have to fake it like I did with so many of the others here in Bon Temps.

“Great,” he exclaimed, looking genuinely excited. “What time should I pick you up?”

“How does six sound?”

“Perfect,” he said.

I got my purse from his office, and then went for the front door of the bar.

“You have good night, Skylar,” he said from behind the bar while he restocked the refrigerator with beer for the following night.

“Thanks. You too, Sam.”

Content, I walked out to the parking lot, and was not met by my vampire. This was a relief and a disappointment to me at the same time. I was so used to his constant presence that it felt strange without him there.

I entered my house, locking the door securely behind me.

Why hadn’t he appeared out of nowhere to scare me senseless? That was something he always did, but apparently tonight was different.

I had only been here for a week, and already I was used to having Eric around. Which was funny, because he was probably the least healthy thing for me at the moment. I had wanted a normal life here in Bon Temps, but I seemed to be getting just the opposite.

Who knew a small Louisiana town could be so out of the ordinary?

I found that, even after a long night of work, I was not the least bit tired. In fact, I felt wired, as if someone had injected my veins with caffeine. I was far from being able to sleep.

I wondered what I should do with all this extra energy. It was all the stupid vampire’s fault that my body was so off-balance.

Shreveport? I thought to myself, then tally slapped myself for that stupid idea. The only times I had ever gone there, I had gotten myself into big trouble. I didn’t need any of that again.

My mind kept going back to Fangtasia. I tried to think of other, brighter ideas, but none came to mind.

I imagined myself strutting through the doors of Fangtasia, right up to throne where Eric sat. But then I imagined myself kissing him, so I pushed that image away as well.

I had just agreed to go on a date with Sam. I didn’t want to kiss Eric. Because kissing him would mean giving up. It would mean that I had finally given in to him. And I didn’t want that at all.

So I sat on the couch, in the place where Eric always chose to sit, and turned on the television.

That didn’t work to calm my nerves at all. All that seemed to be on where romances. So I got up and went to the bookshelf on the far side of the room, pulling out Jane Eyre, one of my favorite books.

I got to the third chapter before I fell asleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

I was walking under the tall trees that filtered in gaps of moonlight, and Eric was beside me. He was holding my hand. I noticed how strange that felt. It was such a human action that I could not imagine him doing it. Yet there he was, holding my hand, moving his pinky finger in smooth strokes along my palm. This was a dream, no doubt, but a good dream nonetheless.

“Have you had many lovers in your life, Skylar?” he asked me.

In any normal circumstances, there was no way I would have answered such a question. It was rude for anyone to ask something like that. Not to mention the fact that it was none of his business.

But instead, I answered him truthfully. “I have never had a lover.” My blunt honesty caused me to blush. I was surprised at my ability to say the words out loud. I had never talked to anyone about my love life (or lack thereof) before.

“Then let me be your first,” he whispered to me, then pressed me against a tree, at the same time that his lips pressed firmly against mine.

His kiss grew even deeper, and I was soon gasping for breath, my fingers entwined in his hair.

His kisses became light again, and moved from my lips to my jaw line and then to my neck. Then he bit down.

________________________________________________________________________________

I awoke, sticky with sweat, my heart pounding.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little more teasing, but this time I don't think it was nearly as bad. I feel bad for keeping you guys waiting, but it must be done. Don't worry. I have a plan!

Comments/Subscriptions?