Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Fourteen.

Mr. Hansen!!! Please refrain from using that kind of language in this school.”

“Like hell I’ll refrain! What’s going on here?”

“I don’t know.” Mrs. Lombard said quietly. “It appears that someone slapped Miss Campbell and I believe that she may have also suffered from a significant traumatic experience.”

“Well Melissa was the only one in here. Janie sent her to find Em, but she said she never found her…”

Mrs. Lombard looked a bit stunned. Her mouth popped open into a little O. She turned to face me.

“Emma, was Melissa the one that did this to you?”

Even more tears were overflowing. I didn’t say anything. I didn’t blink.

“I understand. Mr. Hansen, if you would stay here with Miss Campbell while I wait outside for the ambulance to arrive.”

She got up and left, glancing at me with sadness mingled with horror. Then my vision was obscured by Thom’s bronze flecked blue eyes.

“Em…who did this to you?”

I didn’t move.

“It was Jake wasn’t it? You finally told him about the baby and he freaked. You retaliated and then hung up. Is that when Melissa comes into the story? She hit you, I know she did. But why, why???”

I still didn’t move. Thom sighed and laid down next to me. His eyes never left my vacant stare. He didn’t talk or move. He just lay there, his eyes locked on mine, tears matching mine.

Why the hell didn’t I love him? Why was it that I had chosen Jake, the horrible abusive asshole over Thom, the sweet understanding nice guy?

I don’t know how long we were there. The ambulance guys came to take me away. Thom helped them lift me onto the stretcher. I didn’t even feel the pain when they hooked an IV into my vein.

The students had lined up against the hall. Their stares bore into me as I was finally wheeled out of the bathroom. The teachers didn’t even try to move the kids back to the classrooms. Their faces stood out the most. They seemed aghast that this had happened. They couldn’t hide the shock and panic from their eyes. Sweet, innocent little Emma Campbell, coming out of the bathroom on a stretcher. I tried to keep the tabloid headings out of my mind as I closed my eyes. I didn’t open them when I heard Becky’s voice:

“THAT’S MY FREAKING SISTER!!!! LET ME THROUGH!!!!! EMMA!!!!!!!”

I didn’t open them to Janie’s voice:

“Emma? Oh my God, Emma, oh my God…”

Or Paul’s:

“EMMA!!!!! What is this? No, No, NO! This isn’t happening. IT’S NOT HAPPENING!!!!!!”

I didn’t even open them for Thom:

“I’m here for you, Em. Forever and always. Never forget that.”

I didn’t open them when his silky smooth lips brushed my forehead. I didn’t open them when the ground was suddenly gone and I was in the ambulance.